• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationUK
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:36 AM

Hey dudes

I want to hear about your first experience of FCing with a focus on these questions:

1. What made you step up and try?

2. What did it feel like?

3. What made you initially reluctant to give it a go?

4. What advice can you give to someone reluctant to make the first step and give it a go?

#2 Wiiggls

Wiiggls

Dominix

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationWales
  • Favorite Ship:Rapier

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:40 AM

Would you prefer first time FC'ing in RvB or in general first time? ;)

#3 Yngvarr

Yngvarr

Astarte

• Friend of RvB
  • 752 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:43 AM

In general

#4 Jasper Sinclair

Jasper Sinclair

Astarte

• CEO
  • 817 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA
  • Favorite Ship:USS Constitution
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 27 March 2015 - 10:59 AM

My first FCing was in RvB after a couple years as a carebear mission runner (with an exciting couple of months in a now-defunct Null alliance).

1.  Hmmm, complicated. Well, I knew I was shit as a pilot, and I had experience as a leader in the Navy and in the civilian world (not that I claim I was any good at that, either) so I guess I figured it was my duty to give it a try, otherwise I would just be a worthless F1 monkey.

2.  Scary, chaotic, exhilarating, challenging, thrilling, satisfying, rewarding.

3.  A number of things, but mainly fear of letting down my fleet mates. When I started I felt personally responsible for every loss, and it was hard on me. Now that I better understand people's motivations it doesn't bother me as much, but stupid losses and mistakes on my part still hurt.

4.  What it comes down to is fear of failure, right? OK, so what do you do? GET KNOWLEDGE!! Make a map of the forge area where we play. Know where all the gates are and the distances involved in warps. Open up the ISIS (or whatever) and study ship capabilities. Armor or shield? Weapons? Drones? Make a chart of how to prioritize targets. PROTIP: other than EWAR and Logi, you want to kill high dps/low tank ships first. Bookmarks are your friends! Positioning is all-important. Make personal bookmarks at all the gates we fight at. Make sure wrecks and sentry guns are visible in space, they provide warp-ins. There are plenty of other things, but I'll stop there. Once you have the knowledge the fear goes away. All you have to do is see if you freeze up or not at your first encounter. Just remember, you actually have more time then you think you do. Scan your overview, pick a close target and call him primary. Yell at fleet to apply dps better. Look for next target. Repeat as necessary. You're not going to win every fight, but most of the time there are perfectly legitimate reasons why the other side won, that have nothing to do with you as an FC. Also, after each battle it doesn't hurt to think about what went right or wrong. It also is good to share this with the fleet. Try to stay positive after losses (I know I have a problem with this sometimes) and try not to call the other side bad names.

#5 Yngvarr

Yngvarr

Astarte

• Friend of RvB
  • 752 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 March 2015 - 12:14 PM

Really great feedback thank you jasper - keep it coming, I'm keen to hear from everyone

#6 Lady Ayeipsia

Lady Ayeipsia

Chimera

• RvB Insider
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3402 posts
Senior Chief Petty Officer  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Kestrel

Posted 27 March 2015 - 02:19 PM

It was a darker time in RvB. It truly was Red vs Blue with little purple spirit. Fights lasted only as long as you had people willing to call targets. There was no "don't shoot the enemy FC". So we all fought as long as we heard a target called, which often was not long. As for the list of primaries, yes killing DPS ships was important but if you could head shot the few FC's in the other fleet first, the field was yours.

I got tired of us losing one night as our FCs kept getting shot out from under us. Frustration can be a powerful motivator and helped over come my fear of public speaking. Did I say fear? More of a crippling fight or flight reflex where I end up drenched in sweat, both legs bouncing a mile a second, and it's just not pretty.

So our last FC died and I just started calling out targets.

Honestly, it was a heat of the moment thing. I started call out targets, the fleet listened, and I think we held the field as Blues did not know who I was. There was no time for introspection or internal monologues it was just call the next target, and when none were left, loot and scoot. Then get the fleet home and let the original FC take back over. This was probably a good thing as there was never any time for my phobia of public speaking to really kick in.

Latern after being a back up FC more, I lead a few fleets. Then blues learned who I was. I became primaried often and became frustrated. I left RvB for a while as I explored other parts of Eve, but eventually came back as RvB is some of the fastest most enjoyable PvP in eve. Once back, FCing wasn't as much of an issue.

Fear of public speaking, fear of not doing a good job, and well... It was a different time. RvB encouraged new FCs, but not as much as now. You first had to speak up and get noticed as a backup called before people trusted you to lead. Mind you this was also back when you could warp your fleet to the sun and whelp them all, so trust mattered a little more.

4. What advice can you give to someone reluctant to make the first step and give it a go?

Do it! It's so much easier than it seems. Plus we generally have enough vets who will help guide you. And all of usbought our ships knowing it will be lost, so don't stress.

Also, don't be toxic to your fleet. No one flies under an FC who bitches and belittles the fleet.

#7 Wiiggls

Wiiggls

Dominix

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1261 posts
  • LocationWales
  • Favorite Ship:Rapier

Posted 27 March 2015 - 03:29 PM

Bit of background to make things more interesting. I was lucky enough back in 2009 to join a really cool bunch of guys in a corp called Wattos Junkyard. At the time I had been playing for a year and a half but 100% PVE. That all changed when I got into the Junkyard. As the corp started to swell we split into 2 different corps, the original being a training ground for new recruits and a place for PVE to continue. The Junkyard Dogs ended up being our PVP corp and we had great success as pirates and mercs.

We had one super FC, Cam Fleury who really knew his stuff and no one really felt the need to try and step up. After 2 years of living in various lowsec, from Ami to Raravath I learnt a hell of a lot about Solo and small gang pvp and all the while learning how to FC from just listening. We all knew each other very well, what ships we could fly and who was best at what. We eventually moved out to a new highsec system called Halmeh which was cut off and surrounded by lowsec. 

While in Halmeh, we had a rival corp (who doesn't!?) called Corax and they were a pain in the ass as they dropped carriers on most of our fights. Cam was offline and we could see they had formed a Fleet and were on the way to our system. We fleeted up and soon we had 6 RR BS, 2 HICs and a Ceptor. We had lost eyes on their fleet but knew from their corp list they had about 20 people online. We were sitting on the gate talking shit on coms to each other with no real clue who was going to FC. We couldn't jump them as they would get Triage so we just waited. 

Gate flash, and I just started calling. I didn't really know why but I was talking at the time so it felt right. We still didn't know how many they had so it was all in. Reps went across from all BS to one of our geddons taking fire who we kept up easily. It probably only lasted about 1 min but it felt like a lifetime. Turns out they only had 4 BS, 1 BC and a cruiser...and pretty badly fit! So yea we wiped them. Woops! 

http://eve-kill.net/...kll_id=70378712.

What did it feel like?

You know what? I actually apologised as soon as we finished for stepping up only to be shot down by my corpies who said I had actually done a great job. It was empowering. I knew any one of us could have done exactly the same thing and it just takes that one time to say.. "Hey, I can do this". Also I got the shakes so bad we had to go for a 20 min bio after. I was still pretty young then but it only took a bit of time learning from a good FC to make me into one too. 

Honestly it was the feeling of "Oh god, I don't want people to compare me to Cam! Hes a great FC and what if I mess up?!" I think a lot of people think similar thoughts. In reality, its totally the opposite. Everyone is pumped that you stepped up, be it good or bad. Those people who do put you down don't deserve your time of day. Constructive feedback is great. 

You will welp fleets learning. God knows I have welped a plethora of fleets. But from doing that you learn. In RvB u will have some FC's that are naturally better than others. If you find one you particularly like, try remembering the way they manage the fleet. The little things like light humour can really boost the moral and confidence of your spaceship mates. Most of all... Don't take it super serisouly. Its a game. Try to enjoy it ;)

#8 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11372 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail

Posted 27 March 2015 - 05:36 PM

Since you asked.

Way back when, before the dawn of time, I played other MMOs. Planetside and World of Warcraft being the earliest two.  In one I was happy to be part of a team occasionally speaking on comms - mostly to wind up the Americans who took it all so seriously; In the other I was the "proto"-Mangala you all know and love today. Worse than that though, I was a tank, a raid leader and a guild leader. So when I came to EVE I wasn't a stranger to being social, let alone leading others in fun and interesting ways to achieve numerous goals, however for my first year or two I played EVE on the side while throwing myself into Lord of the Rings Online - where again I lead a guild and all that jazz.

Somewhere around late 2008 I gave Warhammer Online a chuck, however that did not last (game was terrible in the last quarter of its game experience), BUT the people I played that with got pretty into EVE thanks to me and the stories I would tell of my pvp experiences in the militia (SQUID FTW) and old time SHC Gank Nights.  We decided to form a corp and give EVE a go as a group.  It was there that I started FCing in EVE.  Taking out my corp mates on small roams into Providence, around lowsec. Some times getting kills, sometimes being blobbed, or simply out flown by people with a ton more experience.

The first time I lead them we simply roamed lowsec killing solo newbies and whatever we could catch not on stations.  Never really got much from those fights.  However during our early days we did get wardecced by a "lol" merc corp. Rather than hide like many other (mainly) high sec pilots, we wanted to fight. So the first night we formed up in a mish mash of cruisers and frigates and took the fight right to them. HOLY SHIT the adrenalin rush from that.  We came out isk winners in that one engagement - cheap t1 crap v t2 hacs and recons - and that really bouyed us for the rest of the war. We never really had more skirmishes with them beyond popping one or two more, but it was enough. The rush was like nothing I'd gotten in a game before. The fact that friends had been willing to fly under me (I did have the most eve pvp experience after all), was great, really helped my confidence and willingness to lead them. Even though we had losses, my pilots didn't recriminate towards me or anything, they had thanks to communication with me, known that would probably happen.

Then in 2009, RvB (2.0) started and I made an alt and even tried FCing there, but didnt quite feel "right". Mostly due to the "eve famous" pilots flying around me being far more willing to lead and to me understanding considerably more than I did everything about pvp. Didnt help that my alt had little SP and for half my EVE life I did admittedly buy into the moreSP = betterer thing. So I can say I was reluctant but mostly for BS reasons someone with my history should have seen right through!

I then fucked off overseas for a few months, on my return I threw Mangala into Blue (I WAS A SMURF! SO SORRY RED!).

Now taking the chance to FC with Mangala did feel easier. Helps that way back RvB was considerably smaller, you knew everyone online across both sides in your timezone to a degree that simply isnt possible today. Jumping into a fleet position, or simply being the backup caller, was easier as you knew what to expect from your side and the other. Simply put the other 9 guys in your fleet were like family, who didnt mind if you got their stuff blown up, as they would often reciprocate if they lead fleets.

To those wanting to take that step and lead their fellow pilots, I say DO IT.  

Talk up the fleet in corp, explain that you're a newbie to FCing but you want to give it a shot and get them some kills/killed.  The vast majority of RvB members are here for explosions - and most of those do not care whose.  Be noisy on comms - not taking a bong hit or using voice act etc - be always there in people's ears. Do not be afraid to take advice from the older members in your fleet, just ultimately remember YOU'RE the one who STEPPED up, not them so ignoring them will be fine. They do not like it, they can leave your fleet/run their own.  Be confident in yourself, that no matter the odds, no matter the engagement you will succeed and success is one, single, killmail. Any more than that and you're rocking.

(I wrote this over a year ago, hope this can help: http://crossingzebra...o-you-wanna-fc/ )

PS that was my 11,000th post)

#9 Ki Itonula

Ki Itonula

Vengeance

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Recruit
  • LocationTexas
  • Favorite Ship:Hawk

Posted 27 March 2015 - 07:32 PM

1. Need... When I first took the reigns it was a great night with a lot of good pew pew. The current FC had to log and I knew if someone did not step up the fleet who disband. So I took the step.

2. I was nervous and afraid. I was not afraid of losing ships I was more worried about sounding like or acting like a moron. I had been in many fleets and had learned to follow the FC. Know it was my turn to lead and I found myself not sure on what steps to take. Where to go, what to warp to etc...

3. I thought a FC had to be an expert pvp pilot.

4. Just go for it. You don’t have to be an expert pvp pilot. You have to be an organizer and communicator. Communication between the other FC and your fleet. Set expectations that are realistic and clear. You going to lose some and you’re going to win some, it's RvB. I found putting together some sort of fleet "idea" doctrine helps tremendously. If you want to learn to FC get a fleet going and have experienced FC watch you and give feedback. I had an FC deal a couple of months ago where Shen was in my fleet. His feedback was tremendously valuable. Keep your people together. The best advice I received from Shen was to treat your fleet like really expensive drones. If you don’t tell them what to do they are going to wonder off and find something to do.  I agree with Jasper on getting the high DPS low tank guys off the field. Also, know your opponents. There are some pilots in the opposite fleet who I know will deliver high DPS no matter what, but I also know those folks are going to be more difficult to kill. I want them off the field.  Take the opportunities that present themselves. I also know there a certain people who run some tanky crap, that get put to the end of the list where they normally would be at the front.

Just remember it's a game. People are in RvB in order to engage in on-going PVP. When I undock a ship I don’t plan on putting it back. If I do get to put it back its just icing on the cake. 

Be confident and take command of the fleet. I will follow a good communicator, confident leader before I will follow a quiet, mild, timid FC.

Good lord support your FC...don't be a douche. Remind him you there, engaged and ready to follow into glorious space dust.

HAVE FUN!

One last thought, I have become a much better solo pilot after learning and practicing FCing. Allot of the decisions are the similar. When to engage, when to run, how to apply damage....ok enough rambling.

Hope this helps....provided by an average FC J

Posted Image

#10 Michelle Devereux

Michelle Devereux

Sabre

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts
Recruit
  • LocationAt the Grand Galloping Gala, Canterlot, Equestria
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:58 AM

Ah, my very first time of "FCing" happened when still in EvEUni we got wardecced by some griefers (= some 10 men corp max) and I had the glorious idea to steal a march (is that the phrase?) on them by getting a fleet all around their home system before the dec got live in the hopes they would log on, form a fleet and jump right into one of the three gatecamps surrounding the system. Yeah, totally worked. In theory!

In reality, what happened was that I was not the only one that had this idea, however the other FC "let me do it" sort of, so I suddenly had a 100 man fleet at hand which was WAY too much for me to handle and the other FC was a really helpful soul that ... well, helped me, effectively turning causing my fleet into being a fully backseat-FCed one.

Also, the WTs did not get the memo and never logged in so we decided to do a Lo-Sec roam... after getting a promising report of a gatecamp so I (we) made the 7 something jumps. With a 100 man fleet. Including battlecruisers. After stopping at a gate to wait for someone that dced to relog. The camp was of course long gone by the time we arrived though we actually caught someone else a few systems further in. Actually, my backseat FC, who was by this time basically running the fleet anyway, caught him. That stressed me out even more so my mistakes kept piling up and got progressively more stupid.

So, in short, I made basically any thinkable - and unthinkable - mistake possible. At that point I just wanted the whole thing just to end.

Edit: You should know that fleetforming in EvEUni is/was terribly formalized: First you have to announce in Alliance chat that you form a fleet, then call out for Scouts, tell them where to.... scout, then call for "Leadership", that is Wing- and Squadcommanders, invite them, call out for DPS, have your SCs to invite them, then ECM, finally Tackle (no such thing as free joining or free moving, spies!!!). Recheck with your SCs that everyone of their Squad is in the respective squadchats.

Finally you have to basically give a speech explaining some basics (update your clone, insure your ship, take ammo, who to put on the watchlist, basic fleet commands etc.). All this takes at least half an hour and often considerably longer if you have special "role"-squads.

The problem wasn´t so much inital reluctance, I did want to try it (at the right opportunity), rather the complete train-wreck that "my" fleet became...

Don´t take advice from me how to run a fleet, I suck terribly at EvE!  :P

If you don´t listen to me, start small, 10 people max. Personally I had a somewhat better success with such smallish fleets much later when I joined RvB (though I fucked up here as well).

Posted Image

#11 Zen Tsai

Zen Tsai

Rupture

• Executive Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLiekuri
  • Favorite Ship:Imperial Navy Slicer (Still the one.)

Posted 29 March 2015 - 03:51 PM

Hey dudes

I want to hear about your first experience of FCing with a focus on these questions:

I did a write-up covering most of these questions about 6 months ago, so I'll just link that wall of text here:  http://rvbeve.com/fo...-a-new-fc/   And then make a new wall!

But for a tl;dr, here are the answers in brief:

1.  Greed for more fights after the FC stepped down and no one was taking over.

2.  Scary, until people actually started showing up on grid to regroup.

3.  Fear that no one would show up, or would be mad at me if I "got everyone killed".

4.  Mitigate your own fear using whatever works for you.  *

* Expanding a bit on 4

Standing:  Start by just taking the boss star for a standing fleet and learning how to keep the fleet ad up, how to  change the fleet chat MOTD, setting free-move, making squads, and handing off the star to anyone who steps up to FC.

Transitioning:  When "boss" of a standing fleet, and the other side isn't active, try just suggesting everyone camp the enemy HQ gate on the Josameto side.  If they jump a fleet into your fleet, call targets if no one else is doing it. 

Training:  As Jasper pointed out, one of the most important things you can learn as a FC is to identify ships by name.  Memorize all of the names of all of the BCs, cruisers, destroyers, and frigates, starting with the T1 variants.  All you need to know is, "Ferox is a BC.  Enyo is a AF.  etc."   Then memorize the names of the battleships, starting with the T1s.  The more confident you are at quickly comprehending fleet weights, the better you will be at knowing when to dive in and spread tackle, when to kite, and when to skirmish.  This also helps you know when to reship, and what to reship into, in order to encourage the best fights possible.

Communicating: Work on being chattier when you are FC, in general.  The best FCs are fun FCs who can keep a conversation going on comms between fights.  Sometimes it feels like being a late-night DJ as you ramble on about absolutely nothing.  Sometimes I sing, if I feel my fleet is trolling me with silence.  Once maneuvers or fighting starts, the FC should loudly and clearly call "CHECK CHECK CHECK..." until everyone stops talking, and hopefully everyone starts paying attention.  Your "command" voice should be a different and more serious tone than your conversational voice.  Your fleet should FEEL the energy change immediately in your tone and volume.  Repeat critical commands twice.  If needed, wait 5 seconds and repeat it twice again.  If you have time, and it's not obvious, EXPLAIN why you are asking them to do something.  This keeps everyone informed of your goal, and helps future FCs who are trying to learn from you.  Call primaries at least every 5 seconds or until they die.  Try to call secondaries if fighting above frigates.  Ask for a volunteer to broadcast targets.  Consider using the phrases, "I want....X" and "I need...X" and "We need...X" to distinguish between increasingly critical orders.  This works better than raising your voice, or saying something fast and excitedly, which can induce panic in your ranks. Stick with calm, clear, concise, normal volume.  Make sure your mic is working 100% loud and clear, but not too loud or distorted. 

Drinking:  To be completely honest, a bit of liquid courage was involved in my very first FC attempt. I just happened to be a bit toasty when the FC stepped down, but I'm sure it was a factor.  Also, it did not end well, and I'm sure the alcohol was a factor there too, so no, I don't encourage new FCs to drink in order to build courage.  But if you do so, warn your fleet please.  Despite all of the Eve bluster, all of the best FCs are sober FCs, in my experience.  Yes, this includes "other" substances.

ADVANCED

Becoming Aggressive:  Understand that above all, your fleet wants to fight.  Once you get past the initial jitters about FCing, realize that no one expects you to win even half the time.  They just want to get into a scrap, and not have to wait all day for it.  If you can get even 5 ships on grid, and some kind of a plan, you can still get a fun fight in my opinion, even if you've lost the last 5 fights in a row and are outnumbered 4 to 1.  If you can't win, try to fly cheap and isolate and kill a single shiny.  As Mang said, set your own criteria for op success.

Becoming Considerate:  If you won the last fight, ship down.  Jump into THEM next time.  Fight them even if outnumbered or outshipped.  Fight them in their own HQ system.  Check to see if their FC has a request, like to fight at a planet, or drop logi, or drop damps, etc. and try to accommodate.  Understand that fleet numbers often jump right before a fight happens, through no fault of their FC.  Understand that FC "immunity" to being called primary has many exceptions, and mistakes are more likely to happen than not.  But above all, remember that if you are winning every time, and not trying to handicap yourself a bit more each time, you are being a douche.

Maintaining Morale:  In my opinion, a FC MUST, above all else, maintain their temper.  If you are angry, and your fleet knows it, you are doing it wrong.  No matter WHAT, keep calm, and carry on.  If someone else in your fleet is angry, and venting on your fleet comms, you need to encourage them to settle down without escalating the problem.  For example, a common "Toxic Guy" hating on the other side on comms, and two ways a FC can choose to react:

Toxic Fleet Member:  "Goddamn (Reds/Blues) they always pull this shit!!  Why they bring BCs to fight our cruisers!?  Why they always blob?  Why they headshoot our FC?  Why, dear Lord, WHAI?!"  Sometimes this is in Mumble comms, and other times it's in local.  Either way, it's a problem you should try to defuse.

FC1: "Yeah, no worries, everyone head back to our HQ, reship into cruiser down.  We'll form up and try sniping this time instead of brawling.  You've got till 20:25.  I don't want them to get bored and take their toys home.  Bring fast, long range stuff and tackle."

FC2: "Yeah that was bullshit!  Who lost a ship?  Paste your losses!  I am chewing out the (Blue/Red) FC in private chat about this crap!  I'm sooooooooooo sorry guyz, other FC LIED TO ME!  If they keep this shit up we'll blueball them!"  *wanders off to scream at other FC in RvB Community*

The secret here is that while you may FEEL like FC2, you must, at all times, at least APPEAR to be FC1 in your comms.  Maintaining a level-headed cool attitude is always best.  If you find yourself losing your temper, and can't hold it in, pass the boss star to someone and LOG OFF until you calm yourself down.  A bad attitude is highly toxic to a fleet and is contagious like Ebola.

Once you have achieved the right attitude for YOURSELF, then you can try to address poor attitudes expressed by a fleet member.  The other common "Toxic Guy" toxin is hating on their own fleet.

Toxic Guy:  "What the FUUUUUUUUUU guyz!  I had him tackled and you all left!  You guys left me to die!  You all suck!"  or "How the FUUUUUUUU you no tackle a MOA!  OMG guyz!!  Want to buy tackle!  Does anyone here even have long point?  Does anyone have scrams?!"  (Not just one outburst, but keeps berating the fleet, questioning FC decisions, and hogging comms in general for negative feedback)

Dealing with "Toxic Guy" is situational.  Try calming him down, without escalating, or trampling his ego, or being authoritarian or otherwise douchey about it.  If that doesn't work, try calling a fleet-wide 5-min bio, which deprives him of his audience, and gives him a chance to relax.  If he's starts ranting again after the bio, start calling for "CLEAR COMMS, PLEASE" everytime he starts up.  Then try sending him a quick evemail, asking him politely to 'please tone down some on comms, thx'.  Consider asking "Toxic Guy" if he would like to take over as FC if he is being "bossy" or talking over you.  I have yet to have one accept.  If that doesn't work, local mute him, and inform the fleet that you have local muted him, and anyone else who wishes to may also do so.  If he still manages to be disruptive, kick him from fleet, and block him on Eve until you're done FCing.  If the problem lasts more than a day, report him to a Team Leader.  Be sure to provide details about steps you have already taken to try to handle the problem.  There are lots of ways to effectively deal with "Toxic Guy".  But whatever you do, don't let him cause your fleet to disband, and don't try to play a one-upsmanship game with him.  If you are arguing with him in comms, he is trolling, and you are falling for it, and wasting your fleet's time. Always be respectful, and use your best manners (no snark) when talking to "Toxic Guy".  Most importantly, DO NOT BE TOXIC GUY.  Good fleet attitude starts with the FC.

Local Smack:  If you see local smacktalk start to get heated and out of hand, try moving your fleet out of the system where the smack is happening.  Don't try to sort out the drama, just reform one system over, no explanation required.  It's not always possible to do this, but it's a great way to defuse this problem, without having to be bossy.

Weaponizing boredom:  AKA blueballing, docking your fleet up should be avoided if at all possible.  If you must employ it, I suggest never calling for a bio of longer than 15 minutes at a time.  If your plan is to dock up for longer than 15 minutes, you should be looking for a new FC to replace you.  Always try to keep the action going, even if it's just skirmishing in cheap frigs/dessies trying to pick off stragglers and overzealous tackle from their monster blob.

Current Title: WORST FC 2014
-Yng

#12 Telemachus Rheade

Telemachus Rheade

Revelation

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2640 posts
Petty Officer 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Favorite Ship:Imperial Navy Slicer

Posted 29 March 2015 - 09:59 PM

I was in a Merlin, it was a Battleship down fight. Jagtor may have whelped a shiny, I forget if it was this fight that he whelped the Bhaalgorn. This was before reimbursement events. Several billions of isk were destroyed at the Poinen gate in Jos. Uclan made me do it. I forget who the opposing FC was, but they did their best not to have the fleet shoot my little Merlin, which was the only thing I could fly T2 at that point. I lived for a long long time, and called targets.

I was reluctant because I thought that people would make fun of me if I whelped the fleet and they would hate me if I got their ships blown up. People still make fun of me for other things now, but I care much less about whether or not your ship lives these days.

For new people, FCing honestly makes you a much better pilot because it makes you more situationally and tactically aware about what's going on on grid, so everyone should do it if they want to improve as a pilot in Eve. Knowing how to FC means that you also learn to predict what opposing FCs/Fleets will do against you if you are flying solo or as part of a fleet. Knowing/predicting what the opposing FC is going to do with his/her fleet collectively will help you keep your ship alive even if you are not FCing your fleet. GTFOing/burning away right before you are called primary is always fun.

If someone is just stepping up, it's nice when there is someone who can back up FC/target call on your first few times though, and I think I had a lot of people ready to back up FC if I went down when I started, which removed a lot of the pressure. This doesn't have to be an institutionalized thing, just something that's nice to have. So for any of you people that FC regularly, always try and get other people to do it when you are FCing, even if that means you lose out on the "FC LP points". More FCs = less FCing you have to do, and more fights to be had.

My advice, just do it! It's only space pixels and funny money. Worst thing that can happen is that everyone undocks and get their ships blown up.

As for how it mades me FEEEEEEEEEEL, it felt great in the pants. Iunno, I don't like talking about my feelings Yng :P!

Posted Image

#13 Miner's Bane

Miner's Bane

Rupture

• Friend of RvB
  • 251 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Tristan

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:21 AM

Was flying in rifter gangs in the cruise missile era with Everlasting Vendetta in Vale. Our FC got whacked by perfect-track drones before we could clear them so I took over.

I think. It was a very long time ago. Might have done some FC work earlier but I don't remember it.

#14 Jasper Sinclair

Jasper Sinclair

Astarte

• CEO
  • 817 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA
  • Favorite Ship:USS Constitution

Posted 30 March 2015 - 11:40 AM

Jeez Zen, that's longer than your Fleet MOTD!

#15 Zen Tsai

Zen Tsai

Rupture

• Executive Coordinator
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLiekuri
  • Favorite Ship:Imperial Navy Slicer (Still the one.)

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:08 PM

Jeez Zen, that's longer than your Fleet MOTD!

:P

Only by a bit.

• Please fill empty Squad Leader positions if you have Leadership V.
  • Only fly what you can afford to lose happily and eagerly.
  • No pods on your overview.
  • Warp your pod off immediately.
  • Get into another ship and warp back to the fight ASAP unless I say not to.
  • If in doubt, bring frigate logi, Maulus, or cheap tanky tackle.  Frigate logi may win prizes.
  • Always have a microwarpdrive. 
  • Be on Mumble.  See Corp channel MOTD for settings.
  • Please keep comms courteous, upbeat, and fun.
  • Someone please broadcast the primaries I call. 
  • First to call a target after I stop calling primaries may get a prize.
  • Do not shoot the enemy FC unless called primary or he/she is tackling you.
  • Anyone is invited to take over as FC during breaks/forming/gate camping.
  • Loot goes to the looter.  Do not try to reserve your loot or wreck please.

Since most people are only reading the first half of the first line, I think I'll move the bit about FCing to the top.

Current Title: WORST FC 2014
-Yng

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users