Photo

New Player Training Options

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Poll: Training Resources (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Please select the training types/TZs that best match your preference and/or schdeule...

1. EU - 1 on 1 trainings/mentor programs (12 votes [14.46%])

Percentage of vote: 14.46%

2. EU - Group training/classes (17 votes [20.48%])

Percentage of vote: 20.48%

3. US - 1 on 1 trainings/mentor programs (16 votes [19.28%])

Percentage of vote: 19.28%

4. US - Group training/classes (23 votes [27.71%])

Percentage of vote: 27.71%

5. More videos/written guides (14 votes [16.87%])

Percentage of vote: 16.87%

6. Other (Explain below) (1 votes [1.20%])

Percentage of vote: 1.20%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Jiny

Jiny

Abaddon

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1754 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationCA
  • Favorite Ship:Kestrel
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 19 February 2015 - 10:48 PM

As part of our effort to ensure that those new to EVE, or pvp in general, are provided the best learning opportunities possible, RvB is asking for your input on what sort of training resources you would like to see...depending on your responses here, we will then know what areas need to be focused on. If there are specific things you would like to see taught, feel free to post them below!

#2 Lady Ayeipsia

Lady Ayeipsia

Chimera

• RvB Insider
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3402 posts
Senior Chief Petty Officer  Member Reputation
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:00 PM

I still want to know how to best Yng!

#3 Viktor Rachtbuger

Viktor Rachtbuger

Omen

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Coercer
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:12 PM

using D Scan

#4 nitro oxide

nitro oxide

Raven

• CEO
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1043 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationBonny Scotland
  • Favorite Ship:hound

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:12 PM

To beat yng one must poison his tea bags lol or cheat like I did tell him your brawler and turn up in kitey lol ( my bad!)

#5 Ki Itonula

Ki Itonula

Vengeance

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts
Recruit
  • LocationTexas
  • Favorite Ship:Hawk

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:02 AM

love it.. I think small 4 to 5 person classes would be awesome to offer. maybe a lvl 1,2, and 3 class. I would be happy to ake a group out and teach the basics on agrrestion timers, roles, ship fitting, brawl, kite, so on and so forth.

Posted Image

#6 Woden Thorson

Woden Thorson

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 2 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:incursus
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:15 AM

hi the help in RvB has been great just need some isk making events to help peeps like me that cant afford to buy a plex to keep isk up allot. Other than that everything has been great, but no ships no fights!

#7 Rectar en Meunk

Rectar en Meunk

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Sentinel

Posted 20 February 2015 - 01:34 AM

using D Scan

http://forum.eveuniv...hp?f=72&t=88191

#8 CiCiP Sux

CiCiP Sux

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Recruit
  • LocationSydney, Australia
  • Favorite Ship:Federation Navy Comet

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:23 AM

Hi RvB,

My interpretation of the question is what RvB can provide to new cadets as much as seasoned veterans coming for some PvP experience.

As far as videos and documents go they can never replace or substitute for actual game experience, they are how ever fantastic for some mechanics or description of some of the mathematics of the game, but why re-invent the wheel when there's some great written documentation out there such as Eve Universities material. The only area that it would benefit is to do with PvP tactics, fleet tactics and expectations of what is expected and what to expect of others, in other words - behavioural elements. Some documentation that could work as part of the initiation process is things like creating Instant undock and dock bookmark for the new cadet.

Also there so much quality content out there as far as videos or Youtube goes why put the effort into that when we can focus on the combat mechanics of PvP instead.

As RvB is a PvP corp this can only be achieved through experience, nothing beats experience. So what could be advantages is if new inexperienced members have lessons with the top 10 killers of RvB, or even bottom 10 of each month are automatically nominated to be mentors/trainers or 1-on-1 one or two hour lessons. And this could be for a short time of couple of hours is all that's needed.

Image having the marketing opportunity that new members have a chance to have a lesson with the top 10 killers in the corp from a corporate perspective? Some of the veterans could/would frown upon this but some have been very helpful to me as I have developed reaching my 100 kills. 

Fleet engagement should be first with a lesson be it again through the 1v1 in the same fleet will provide experience here.

Ensuring that the welcoming mail (or getting them to forum/documentation) explaining the opportunity of the contracts and how to take advantage of the preconfigured T1 frigates, dessies and cruisers. May be as part of the 1v1 the lesson covers what and how to use the fittings to some benefit, as example kitting v's brawling fits..... and the list can go on.

I can sum this up as providing an "onboard program" for cadets. If the number of cadets out ways the number of allocated trainers, well others can assist by providing the lessons. An incentive could be that they can attain kills while in training - but this can be difficult as the new cadets may not have isk to finance this so endeavour, this would need top be flushed out a little bit more if it has merit.

The opportunity is that everyone improves and the quality of the fights increase.

The biggest challenge is that new cadets (not seasoned veterans) easily get blobbed or ganked at the start and if there player type is more conservative and there reluctant to lose ships "easily" in way of learning and advancing, frustration kicks in and they either leave the corp or worst case leave the game - this is counter productive to everyone. I'm sure everyone agrees getting kills of new members is great while there here but if they leave there's no fresh "meat" to kill. So the aim is to still kill the new guy but in a way that you don't demoralise them to leaving. Even if there's no fleet out but so many times have I seen the B-REP in an organised hunting party just not in a corp, so when asked there response is where not in a corp but they are working together. Great that there working there level of experience but as mentioned above the  new cadet is inexperienced to this all together. This experience could be one of the lessons the new cadets are exposed to.

An announcement board that someone has an interest to go for a roam but not necessarily be the fleet leader may be of interest. As an example to better explain what I mean. Image once I get enough experience to go to Null-sec, I leave an announcement to say that at a time I will go to Null sec, and if anyone is interested to join there more than welcome. It doesn't have to be in a formal fleet as such cause I might not have leadership skills but go with someone whose also interest and willing to risk the experience, going to Null-sec "not alone" is better than going alone especially when it's the first time. And if there's such a board, well this shows how well its advertised cause I don't know about it.

WoW, I'm so opinionated its not funny, but hope this makes sense someway.

P.S don't shoot the ideas if you don't like them, just ignore them cause it means there's something that resinates and you wish you had thought of it first  :D

#9 Xan Drakov

Xan Drakov

Chimera

• RvB Member
  • 3335 posts
Petty Officer 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Coercer

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:52 AM

I still want to know how to best Yng!

With a stick while he's asleep.

#10 Rejuice K

Rejuice K

Vengeance

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts
Recruit
  • LocationOdense Denmark
  • Favorite Ship:Something with duct tape and rust!

Posted 20 February 2015 - 11:43 AM

I like the whole idea, and I believe my mail have gotten to ya, however im worried about how many of the "newbros" will actually see this post :/

To me its not what they want to learn more about, but rather what we as RvB are willing to learn em and in what way we want to do so :)

#11 Nilart

Nilart

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Recruit
  • LocationSpain - UK
  • Favorite Ship:Anything that pews!

Posted 20 February 2015 - 12:17 PM

I think small group lessons are better, 1 on 1 might be too intimidating for people to actually sign up. 5 people group or so would be best.

As for what to do I'd think it's a good idea to actually have some kind of practical exercises that could be fun instead of just theoretical lessons :P

my 2 cents

#12 jcraig304

jcraig304

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 1 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Gila

Posted 20 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

Speaking from personal experience...CiCiP..hit the nail on the head.  

The biggest challenge is that new cadets (not seasoned veterans) easily get blobbed or ganked at the start and if there player type is more conservative and there reluctant to lose ships "easily" in way of learning and advancing, frustration kicks in and they either leave the corp or worst case leave the game - this is counter productive to everyone. I'm sure everyone agrees getting kills of new members is great while there here but if they leave there's no fresh "meat" to kill. So the aim is to still kill the new guy but in a way that you don't demoralise them to leaving. Even if there's no fleet out but so many times have I seen the B-REP in an organised hunting party just not in a corp, so when asked there response is where not in a corp but they are working together. Great that there working there level of experience but as mentioned above the  new cadet is inexperienced to this all together. This experience could be one of the lessons the new cadets are exposed to.

#13 Zen Tsai

Zen Tsai

Rupture

• Executive Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationLiekuri
  • Favorite Ship:Imperial Navy Slicer (Still the one.)

Posted 20 February 2015 - 04:04 PM

Tough one.

I think a basic intro to PVP class might go a long way to helping with retention.  It should cover the absolute basic mechanics and have a standardized curriculum and be hands-on.  Off the top of my head, topics could include:

* Comms (joining comms, setting up corp tag/username, etiquette)

* Fleet mechanics (finding, joining, making standing fleets)

* Roles new-bros can fill  (tacklers, brawlers, kiters, snipers, ewar)

* Fitting (how to find good fits on the killboards, corp fittings)
* Fleet maneuvers (orders to expect from a FC and how to fill your role)

* Gate mechanics survival (gate cloak specifics, aggro mechanics, when to warp, burn back, burn away)

* Station mechanics (station games basics, making/using an insta-undock bookmark)

A regularly scheduled class, once a week, with multiple teachers available, following a set curriculum would be best.  It could also be taught impromptu when things are super-slow.  The focus should be on helping players transition from PVE to PVP instead of teaching Eve from the ground up.  The goal should be helping the most people, in the most effective way, in a short period of time.  It should not run for more than an hour. 

Also, whoever ends up teaching the class should get FC points.

Current Title: WORST FC 2014
-Yng

#14 Liesu Yazria

Liesu Yazria

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 2 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:sentinel
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:09 PM

I'd love to see a few more noob friendly structured fleets to get to know how to perform various roles.

#15 aggietonics

aggietonics

Velator

• RvB Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Condor

Posted 21 February 2015 - 04:11 AM

Personally I would love a intermediate frig combat classes... like how to pilot manually, how to slingshot, how to not get slingshotted, when you want to fit AB, vs MWD, web or no web, scram kiting, etc.

#16 CiCiP Sux

CiCiP Sux

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Recruit

Posted 21 February 2015 - 10:09 AM

Weird, I had selected other but its showing zero selection for other in the results. 

#17 Lady Ayeipsia

Lady Ayeipsia

Chimera

• RvB Insider
  • 3402 posts

Posted 21 February 2015 - 01:38 PM

Weird, I had selected other but its showing zero selection for other in the results.

Did you click the vote button? Does it say delete my vote?

I only ask because I selected other to test it and it just worked. I had no real vote, so will delete mine when and if you get yours to work.

#18 CiCiP Sux

CiCiP Sux

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Recruit

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:31 AM

Did you click the vote button? Does it say delete my vote?

I only ask because I selected other to test it and it just worked. I had no real vote, so will delete mine when and if you get yours to work.

I did now so it's showing 2 for others.

#19 Lady Ayeipsia

Lady Ayeipsia

Chimera

• RvB Insider
  • 3402 posts

Posted 22 February 2015 - 01:14 PM

No worries. I deleted my vote, so it's all good now. Who know why it messed up.

#20 Crazy Dogbreath

Crazy Dogbreath

Sabre

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts
Recruit
  • LocationEssex, England, sitting down facing forward
  • Favorite Ship:Anything Flashing

Posted 23 February 2015 - 05:42 PM

Slingshotting