• Executive Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1198 posts
Crewman 1st Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationSiberia :)
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 19 December 2014 - 11:20 AM

So... since E:D is now officially released, I plan to give it a try on weekend and upcoming holidays.

As I understand, as with most MMO, this game starts to shine when several like-minded lads band together to mess with the rest of the universe. Therefore, do we have enough E:D enthusiasts already to make up a band there and/or ask Mang for a little private corner on Mumble?

TL;DR - Calling all "mostly harmless" E:D pilots...
John Mason: Are you sure you're ready for this?
Stanley Goodspeed: I'll do my best.
John Mason: Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and bang the prom queen.
("The Rock" movie)

#2 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Stealth Bomber
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 19 December 2014 - 07:49 PM

I'm a sucker for Space sims but last I heard E:D wasn't doing very well (understatement). The devs haven't implemented even half of what they promised and it's a huge grind to get even the basic stuff. Or so I've heard.

Someone who's played it recently, please tell me I'm wrong because I could use a good new space game...

#3 Catalyst XI

Catalyst XI

Abaddon

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec
  • Favorite Ship:Space Potato

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:10 PM

i havent herd that at all..... the devs implemented everything they originally set out to do..... they've just talked about adding stuff post release and didnt pull a chris roberts and promise a game that satisfies every possible niche of gaming, its an elite game so its mostly about flying around shooting things and exploring.

Resident RvB bad

#4 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 08:17 PM

So you can split mission rewards and trade items between players now? When I last checked on E:D progress (like a month ago) those things still weren't possible so that's a huge no no for me in an MMO.

There was simply no point at all to fly together.

#5 Catalyst XI

Catalyst XI

Abaddon

• Friend of RvB
  • 1534 posts

Posted 19 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

yea i dont recall those things being promised and last i checked that was not possible in the release build, but maybe i missed it. i never got the vibe that this game was suppose to be about co-op as much as co-habitation ie: instead of npcs going about there business in space you have players... so not really i deal breaker for me, im just cheap and will wait for a sale :)

Resident RvB bad

#6 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:15 PM

Found the list about not having half the promised features

• More weapons/addons - YES
• Dynamic events - e.g. famines, wars etc.. - YES
• Faction alliance - YES
• New space stations - YES
• Docking on Cruisers - NO (?)
• New trade goods (including unique trade goods) - YES
• Customization of ship exteriors - YES
• Customization of ship interiors - NO
]• Wear and tear on ships /modules (outside of direct damage) - YES
• Passengers and Passenger Transports- NO
• NPC Contacts interaction - NO
• Wingmen - NO
• A more fleshed out supercruise mechanic. The ability to see, chase, interdict and avoid other players/NPCs, slingshots around planets and similar YES
• Hyperspace stuff (i.e. analysis, following, linking, misjumps) PARTIAL
• Alliance - YES
• Empire - YES
• Damage models - YES
• Derelict ships - Savage etc.. - PARTIAL
• Multiple character slots YES
• Different start locations - YES
• Founder's world - YES
• Ironman mode - NO
• Deploying escape pods - NO
• Improved Insurance - YES
• Galaxy Evolution - YES (although not seen)
• New trade options - PARTIAL
• Dark Systems, comets, Other Phenomena - PARTIAL
• Probes - N0
• Player logs - PARTIAL
• Ship naming - NO
• Ship crews - NO
• Enhanced Shield mechanics - YES
• Shipyards - YES
• Route Planner - ?
• Small inflatable asteroid stations - NO
• NPCs portraits and conversations - NO
• Freeing and transporting slaves - NO
* Group Loot - NO
* Group Missions - NO
* Group interdiction NO
* Chat rooms - NO
* System Chat - NO
* In-Game Mail System - NO
* Better Social Tools - Mostly NO
* More random events - Mostly NO
* Custom HUD colors - NO
* More station interiors - NO
* Meaningful Choices with Persistent Consequences - Mostly NO
* Mining Drones - NO
* Mining Tractor Beam - NO
* Total 25 Flyable Ships - NO

So yeah for anyone else interested in this game, a nice list of features the game currently has / doesn't have.

I'm probably gonna buy it regardless.

#7 Catalyst XI

Catalyst XI

Abaddon

• Friend of RvB
  • 1534 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:25 PM

sauce?

Resident RvB bad

#8 Miri Boirelle

Miri Boirelle

Astarte

• Administrators
  • 874 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationHelsinki, Finland
  • Favorite Ship:Vagabond

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:26 PM

Anyone who ever spent countless months with it on a c64 it's still worth it ??

#9 Ryan Erishi

Ryan Erishi

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK
  • Favorite Ship:Friend-ship

Posted 22 December 2014 - 10:56 AM

I dunno what to make about this game, It looks like something i'll enjoy and i've been watching a few lets plays and cant decide if i like it or not.

and then there's stuff like this on the interweb...

....don't buy it, it lacks fun and is incredibly tedious and frustrating. To top it off it's one of the most arrogant, entitled and self-righteous communities I've ever seen (Dark Souls 2 still wins)....they aren't going to remove the tedium ever.

Elite is an impressive game, but I suspect I can't remain perched between boredom and wonder forever. There are times when it feels too much like a classic grind, where I'm performing repetitive tasks so that I can make illusory progress toward ships and equipment that will let me do even more of the same repetitive tasks of a larger scale.

So people who already have it what are your thoughts?

#10 Ptygmit

Ptygmit

Raven

• RvB Member
  • 1114 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Taranis
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 22 December 2014 - 11:05 AM

I watched a few youtube vids and thought it looked pretty shit... could be missing something, but the combat looked terrible and the rest was pretty much just flying spaceport to spaceport trading?

#11 Relentless Jim

Relentless Jim

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 504 posts
  • LocationMiddle England
  • Favorite Ship:Anything Amarr

Posted 22 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

I bought it last week. I've only played some of the tutorials so far, but it seems ok. Graphics and audio seem well done, though I have had some difficulties mapping some of the controls to my joystick. I think that is more to do with me being crap than any fault with the game though.

As a veteran of the original BBC Micro Elite back in '84, I thought I'd be more pumped about playing this game. However, I'm having trouble getting into it and it seems like it has quite a steep learning curve. A statement like that coming from an EvE player may seem strange, but I never really found 'our' game all that hard to get into. Elite on the other hand seems like I need a shit load of time to devote to it, and time is something I don't have a lot of anyway.

I'll probably perservere with it after Christmas as it does show promise and it does look as though Frontier have put a lot of work into it.

#12 Malus Fenix

Malus Fenix

Drake

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Moa

Posted 22 December 2014 - 05:47 PM

I think I am too dumb to play this game.

Got it, and a game pad so I wasn't stuck with mouse + keyboard.  Did all the training things which made me a little sad on the responsiveness of the ship, felt like turning in molasses.  Then jumped into the game and now I am completely lost.

First, undocked from my starting point flew around, tried to redock and was told I was denied, but other than that no reason, so not sure if it was something I did or you just aren't allowed back or what.

Then decided to to to another star, or system, or something, I dunno, but I turned on my warp drive and flew off.  But then I saw this unknown anomalies or whatever they are called, so I tried to stop at them, swung past a few times as even when it tells you to slow down, you might still just be going too fast.  Then I learned about keeping your throttle in the magic "auto speed" blue zone.  Tried that but even the computer misses them.  I have them locked but it takes like 3 attempts to stop.  That has made me want to stop on its own as I'm in a fucking spaceship, it should be smart enough to get me there.

After a few hours and not finding anything fun in those unidentified spots (except one I got some rare art) I'm not really sure what the draw to this is.  I will play some more to get the hang of travel, and then perhaps try the open play.

Edit:  Annnnd now I have a bounty on me that is basically my entire wallet and keep getting shot at by the po-po, no idea what I did.

Edit2: Yeah fuck the horrible navigation in this game.

Fiona Erinies - Blue Rep

#13 Ryan Erishi

Ryan Erishi

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK
  • Favorite Ship:Friend-ship

Posted 23 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

Stole some Jove art and now concord want it back, nice...

#14 Peter Sibiro

Peter Sibiro

Raven

• Executive Coordinator
  • 1198 posts
  • LocationSiberia :)
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin

Posted 24 December 2014 - 11:04 AM

Anyone who ever spent countless months with it on a c64 it's still worth it ??

I spent countless hours, weeks, and months to original Elite on my ZX80. Bought E:D and spent a couple of evenings already.

Well, in the present state E:D is very much like original Elite. You are one-on-one versus waste and lone space. There are things to be done, but in the end you feel like you are all alone and noone in the game universe give a damn about your actions. Trading, hunting, and (sic!) mining - all provide mixed feelings.

Also, the game sends you back into 80's in terms of usability/variability. Yes, the overall look is nice. Yes, nice explosions, sounds (especially when your cockpit is broken). But the process is mostly the same over and over again. And not much tools for the player, just like it was in original Elite. Wanna trade? Yup, no market prices history even if you were at the station 10 minutes ago. Hello Google Sheets on another screen!!! (at least it's not pencil-paper solution I used back in 80's-90's)

Peer to peer messaging only, no broadcasts, no gangs/outfits/clans. Very little in terms of missions (same old "bring X", "kill Y", that's all)... may be I missed somethings. It seems that there is no way to trade between players, no way to split rewards or pass funds. Some kind of FW-like activities over the systems (i.e. all players contribute to the common goal to decide which faction owns the system), but that's not something I tried yet.

All in all, I still love the game atmosphere. Because it's just like good old 80's. However, as soon as my nostalgic feelings are fulfilled, I doubt that E:D could keep my attention for a prolonged time.
John Mason: Are you sure you're ready for this?
Stanley Goodspeed: I'll do my best.
John Mason: Your "best"! Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and bang the prom queen.
("The Rock" movie)

#15 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 529 posts

Posted 27 December 2014 - 02:05 PM

I bought it and played a few days.

It's a very good space simulator and has good mechanics, but there's hardly anything to do as of now.

Trading is straightforward, haul a certain item from a high supply station to a high demand station. Only challenge is finding a profitable route. After you find one, trading becomes essentially a docking simulator. In theory the supply/demand will change in the persistent universe if you do it enough times but either it doesn't work or the effect is negligible if just one player does it.

There's not much to exploration. Jump to an unexplored system, activate a scanner, point your nose at the stuff that popped up until everything is identified and later sell the data you collected. There's hazards like black holes and neutron stars you have to look out for but other than that it's not much of a challenge.

Collecting bounties of course, and the combat is pretty good with damaging subsystems and such. Killing an NPC's thrusters and seeing him spin out of control never gets old. Problem with bounties is the AI is pretty easy to predict so as of now not much challenge.

As for the mmo aspect I was hoping for, this is not an mmo. This is barely a multiplayer game. Only in the starter systems do you actually encounter players. Once you get a few jumps out it's a wasteland. I did traderuns through lawless space and not once did I come across another player. It's hard to PvP when you can't find anyone. And ganking newbs in the starter systems isn't exactly my idea of PvP...

TLDR: Fun for a while but severly lacking in content with a side of broken multiplayer.

#16 Aerin

Aerin

Velator

• RvB Member
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Not sure yet -- thinking the Omen will be!
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:49 PM

Rose has it right. I like the game as a flight simulator, but I would never call it an MMO (the fact that it calls itself that is a serious misnomer, considering that it has offline play, which the majority of players use since they don't want to lose their ships). It doesn't have the tactics of Eve at all, and as far as the fittings, is a simplified version of Eve. I think it's great for people who: 1) want an old school flight simulator, like Wing Commander or Tie Fighter, with pretty graphics; or 2) people who don't like Eve, but still enjoy space games.

I will play it on occasion, but I found the PVP that I was hoping for to be severly, even painfully, lacking. I enjoy the combat, especially since I use a joystick, but it definitely doesn't have the balls-to-the-wall rush that Eve combat has.

#17 C11H17NO3

C11H17NO3

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 687 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:maulus

Posted 23 February 2016 - 07:23 PM

Hrmmm I guess I'll see how they change it in the next six months before buying a joystick

THIS IS EVE ONLINE!! = https://i.imgur.com/jj16ThL.jpg

"" Strange Game, the only winning move is to not play"" Cough Hail Nixon. ( ? )

"" " Practice thy own rules you employ onto other's, thus we need not learn to trust you, other's can merely observe it to be so " ""

#18 Vision Thing Achasse

Vision Thing Achasse

Dominix

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1347 posts
  • LocationKillard, Ireland
  • Favorite Ship:Vexor

Posted 24 February 2016 - 04:09 PM

general consensus seems to be that its a pretty game - 100 miles wide but two inches deep.

and Frontier are a company that seems devoted to alienating its customer base.

the base game is cheap atm though (£20 I think)

...take, back - what I paid for another motherfucker in a motorcade...

#19 C11H17NO3

C11H17NO3

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 687 posts
Recruit

Posted 24 February 2016 - 08:11 PM

Hrmpph well let's hope valkeryia is better!! But us that mmo?

"" " Practice thy own rules you employ onto other's, thus we need not learn to trust you, other's can merely observe it to be so " ""

#20 C11H17NO3

C11H17NO3

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 687 posts
Recruit

Posted 08 March 2016 - 08:43 PM

Wait.. So is valk going to be only or will it run on regular screens too?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users