Jett Blackheart

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 3 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Ark
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 31 August 2014 - 04:28 AM

Just starting out with RvB, and I've got  a couple questions.   The RvB Noobfleet channel is sadly quiet in game.

I was looking at overview suggestions here on the forum, and I seem to be misunderstanding, or completely missing, some key on using the filters for the "states".

I'm trying to set up an overview that shows only people I am at war with (so I don't target and shoot my own team, which is bound to happen.  I'm fully capable of shooting my own drones even).  I have an overview setup that has only "Pilot is at war with your corporation/alliance" in the top section (Not filtered out).

Yet when I was on grid with some red team members they did not show up in the overview at all.

Is there some trick to making that work?  Am I using it wrong?

Also, regarding fittings.  Is it good at all to attempt to control range by fitting brawling weapons (autocannons/blasters/rockets) and then fitting sensor damps in the mids to attempt to keep the opponent from being able to lock me when they are getting outside my optimal?  Or are dampeners not effective enough for that strategy?

#2 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Stealth Bomber
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 31 August 2014 - 05:37 AM

Well the overview system got overhauled a few days ago but I assume it still functions the same way.

Reds/Blues have corp standings of -5 towards eachother so filtering out "bad standing" might be the problem

Try only filtering out "Pilot is in your fleet" and "Pilot is in your corporation/alliance", and maybe "pilot has no/neutral standing" but generally I would advise you to have neutrals on your overview at all times (possible neutral logi, suicide gankers, loot thieves, etc). You can make a seperate overview setting with no neutrals. Also keep in mind that if corp members don't show up on your overview you're gonna have a really bad time during Purple vs Purple fights, so make sure you have a seperate overview for that scenario.

An other possible cause is the fact that the ships themselves simply aren't being shown. Check the "Types" tab and make sure all ships (EXCEPT CAPSULE) are checked.

Edit: what you're suggesting regarding damps typically won't work. Damps are meant to shut down snipers and logi. They generally don't reduce lock range enough (sub 20k) against kiters.

#3 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Administrators
  • 11372 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Rose is on the money here with his response re overview, give his tip a go and see if that works out Jett.

#4 Jett Blackheart

Jett Blackheart

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 3 posts
Recruit

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

Thanks for the info.  I'll test the overview suggestion out as soon as I'm in game.  As for the sensor dampeners issue, I'm sad.  Right now, being low skill points, I am finding it difficult to keep up with or get away from other frigates.  Just was hoping maybe it was a way to get a little more control over the situation.  I guess it's time to look into some MWD fits.

#5 Meisuko Liang

Meisuko Liang

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Coercer
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 31 August 2014 - 01:57 PM

AB fits usually are brawlers, to keep distance, a MWD is more usefull. Depends on the frigate, too, dramiels and garmurs are gonna run you down if they choose to.

#6 Zemo Walden

Zemo Walden

Rupture

• Friend of RvB
  • 248 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Breacher

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:08 PM

Players can now share overviews (similar way to ship fittings), so you can prob ask someone in fleet to share their overview and apply it.

#7 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 529 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Stealth Bomber
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 31 August 2014 - 03:21 PM

last i heard that feature was still bugged though

#8 Ryan Erishi

Ryan Erishi

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • 202 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK
  • Favorite Ship:Friend-ship

Posted 31 August 2014 - 08:04 PM

I've shared mine a few times and it seems to have been ok.  

It works fine on my alts and i haven't had any of my fellow Smurfs moan at me for breaking their overviews yet

#9 Charles Burger

Charles Burger

Astarte

• Director
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 966 posts
Petty Officer 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Badger

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:02 AM

I'm trying to set up an overview that shows only people I am at war with (so I don't target and shoot my own team, which is bound to happen.  I'm fully capable of shooting my own drones even).  I have an overview setup that has only "Pilot is at war with your corporation/alliance" in the top section (Not filtered out).

Yet when I was on grid with some red team members they did not show up in the overview at all.

Is there some trick to making that work?  Am I using it wrong?

Yeah, unfortunately you're using it wrong. You've done what most intelligent people would think should work which is not what CCP thinks should work. It is rather retarded.

Basically any box you untick, makes that category disappear. Whether they match other tickboxes or not. So you untick "pilot has a killright available" then you lose all pilots with a killright available, no matter if they are in your fleet, at war with you, have a negative standing, whatever... nobody with a killright will appear on your overview whatsoever.

So if you untick no standing, neutral standing, good standing, excellent standing, bad standing and terrible standing... then you will see NOBODY... it makes absolutely no difference whether the other boxes are ticked or not!

It's currently not possible with the overview system to have an overview that only shows only war targets. The workaround we use is that war targets have standing set to terrible, and you can leave terrible standing on your overview. But that shows non-war-targets with terrible standing too. You have to use different background colours to differentiate them.

You also can't make an overview tab that only shows your own fleet members. As soon as you untick no standing to remove neutrals, any neutrals in your fleet will disappear. In fact as soon as you untick pilot is in my corporation, to remove non-fleeted corp-mates, any corp-mates in your fleet will disappear too.

It's a giant pain in the arse!!! The best you can do is to make (or download, or share) an overview that is "as good as it gets". It's simply not possible to get it how you really want it.

#10 Delucian

Delucian

Wyvern

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5606 posts
Chief Petty Officer  Member Reputation
  • LocationTexas
  • Favorite Ship:Atron

Posted 01 September 2014 - 03:14 PM

I apologize for the NF channel being quiet. It needs a bit of an infusion of vets helping out as I am only on in the evenings US time. Additionally, I need to foster some events.

I'm a walking nightmare, an arsenal of doom
I kill conversation as I walk into the room
I'm a three line whip, I'm the sort of thing they ban
I'm a walking disaster, I'm a demolition man

Delucian.png

#11 Toshiro Hasegawa

Toshiro Hasegawa

Sabre

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Scorpion

Posted 02 September 2014 - 06:05 PM

I keep the noob channel open and try and help out when i can .. but i joined it thinking i would be the noob getting help .. but answering questions there has led to to understand i am not completley clueless .. 

I often think to myself that when there are 40 online in Red that there are probably a comparable number in Blue and therefore there should be 80 people in community and noob channels .. but alas there is usually only 25-30 in community and 10-15 in noob. Even factoring in alts those numbers should be higher. Although it would sound like work to try and herd the cats into them.

#12 Jett Blackheart

Jett Blackheart

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 3 posts
Recruit

Posted 03 September 2014 - 03:50 AM

Thankgs again for all the info. :)

I'm slowly working up a skill plan as well.  Right now I'm sort of stuck with Minmatar frigates.  I don't remember what I was aiming to get into, but for some reason I trained Minmatar Frigate to V.  If anyone has suggestions on the best light-missile platform among those ships, I'm open to suggestions.

#13 Y'talana

Y'talana

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 506 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Wreck
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 03 September 2014 - 05:28 AM

Breacher murders all the things. It's quite fragile tho - *supreme Minmatar*.
Posted Image

#14 Ryan Erishi

Ryan Erishi

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • 202 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK
  • Favorite Ship:Friend-ship

Posted 03 September 2014 - 08:08 AM