• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK
  • Favorite Ship:Incursus
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

Ok, so I’m not having much fun at the moment

I log on every now and again, do some duels, loose some ships and join the odd standing fleet with the hopes of getting more kills (I only have 1 and that was an accident!)

The problem for me is still this huge learning curve to climb. I actually find joining fleet coms a bit intimidating at times. hearing strangers who know what they’re doing while I sit silent, scared to make a mistake and let them down.

I end up just roaming on my own hoping to find a stray frig and hope it’s not a trap.

So rather than complain, which I hate doing, I had a thought:

I’d like to set up a small fleet for new players who might be a little intimidated by the game. The aim is to have a small friendly group environment to practice pvping, dueling and to get to know other players. I’m hoping this will make it easier for newer players to join the bigger things that RvB do. Just to have some fun and not get stressed.

The plan is to go through some basics on fitting, some duels to hull and then a roam in our home system

Once again, it’s about building confidence. Not necessarily learning more although that would happen as well.  

2 questions:

1. Are the RvB heads ok with this idea or am I treading on toes? I know it’s similar to what happens in Noobfleet and classes, this is kind of a noob noobfleet :)

2. Is this something that players want?

Any feedback would be appreciated as well. Eventually, this group could move onto doing classes and joining in fleets more

Thanks

Veda

#2 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11372 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:26 AM

Sounds good Veda, do it.  

#3 Steven Koskanaiken

Steven Koskanaiken

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Recruit
  • LocationNetherlands
  • Favorite Ship:Anything that shoots others

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:39 AM

I approve the idea and wont hesitate to join to help out.

I fully understand your feeling Veda. I'm not a PvP nooblet yet wont class me as a expert either. I find it boring/annoying to fly under (some) people yet never had the courage to step up and FC fleets as I dont want to be the guy who fucked up and whelped the fleet.

RvB Member - Blue Republic [RvB-B] 

signature.jpg

#4 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11372 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:42 AM

FCing a whelp is better than FCing fuck all / setting up a standing fleet.

Also veda, if this group encourages people that losing stuff is fine, then its a success in my eyes.  Winning is good, its getting over the fear of losing that is much more important.

#5 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:51 AM

Thanks all

ok, I'll start invites in the Noobfleet channel at about 10:30pm GMT today as a test run

if anyone wants to join, please drop me a message in this thread before hand with any questions

Lets see what fun we can get up to :)

#6 Steven Koskanaiken

Steven Koskanaiken

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 55 posts
Recruit
  • LocationNetherlands
  • Favorite Ship:Anything that shoots others

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:03 AM

Hmz during the week joining will be hard due to work. Maybe also do a test run in the weekend because most of the time its a bit busier then.

RvB Member - Blue Republic [RvB-B] 

signature.jpg

#7 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:12 AM

Hmz during the week joining will be hard due to work. Maybe also do a test run in the weekend because most of the time its a bit busier then.

Yeah, I build my game time around work and busy weekends as well. 

I'll give tonight a go and schedule something next weekend. This weekend is out for me.

#8 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:49 AM

FCing a whelp is better than FCing fuck all / setting up a standing fleet.

Also veda, if this group encourages people that losing stuff is fine, then its a success in my eyes.  Winning is good, its getting over the fear of losing that is much more important.

couldn't agree more. 

loosing my first incursus was rough but having people help me to get another one was ever better. I've lost loads now and having pre fitted contracted ships really helped with that

#9 Moira Rin

Moira Rin

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationTexas
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin

Posted 07 May 2013 - 01:37 PM

Veda,

I've been thinking the same thing.  Every time I log on it seems that folks in noobfleet are sitting and spinning ships or whatever but there are very few folks flying around, so I do a solo roam without a fight or join a standing fleet and whelp ships without feeling very productive.

I thought about flying a tanky/dps gimped cruiser in Poinen and broadcasting a "Mayday" message in noobfleet channel with the thought that the reds have 10 minutes to kill me and the blues are tasked with defending me.  With Red winning if they pop the cruiser and Blue winning if the Reds fail within the 10 min time frame.  I'm still trying to determine when or if I should try to do this and the logistics of the whole thing.  Having a two year old who doesn't like to sleep kinda gimps my EvE time and my ability to make something like this happen.

That being said, If we are ever on at the same time, I'd enjoy a 1v1l or to try and get something going on.

They call me... Threadkiller.

#10 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:18 PM

Veda,

I've been thinking the same thing.  Every time I log on it seems that folks in noobfleet are sitting and spinning ships or whatever but there are very few folks flying around, so I do a solo roam without a fight or join a standing fleet and whelp ships without feeling very productive.

I thought about flying a tanky/dps gimped cruiser in Poinen and broadcasting a "Mayday" message in noobfleet channel with the thought that the reds have 10 minutes to kill me and the blues are tasked with defending me.  With Red winning if they pop the cruiser and Blue winning if the Reds fail within the 10 min time frame.  I'm still trying to determine when or if I should try to do this and the logistics of the whole thing.  Having a two year old who doesn't like to sleep kinda gimps my EvE time and my ability to make something like this happen.

That being said, If we are ever on at the same time, I'd enjoy a 1v1l or to try and get something going on.

That's an awesome idea and appeals to the RPer in me :) I'd be honoured to do some hull duels or get some people together for some fun

#11 Moira Rin

Moira Rin

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationTexas
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin

Posted 07 May 2013 - 02:45 PM

It appeals to the RPer in me too, and it may provide an incentive for people to go explode some things.  I'm not opposed to losing some ships in fun.  I'm also trying to think of a way to provide a reward for the activity, although part of me says screw the reward, do it for the fun and camaraderie.

They call me... Threadkiller.

#12 kodohumper

kodohumper

Sabre

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:rifter
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

Go for it. And noone really should be intimidated by joining the main fleets. We have still to master the fine arts of "hold on gate"-fu an "hold your cloak"-fu. If you can manage that youre allready ahead of the curve.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

#13 Catalyst XI

Catalyst XI

Abaddon

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1534 posts
Crewman 1st Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationMontreal, Quebec
  • Favorite Ship:Space Potato

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:38 PM

go for it, this is exactly what we have noobfleet for.

I applaud the initiative.

edit: point of note, if you intend to invite both reds and blues to your fleet, make sure you notify both sides that you will be running a purple noobfleet. Just so there's no confusion when you pop somebody.

Resident RvB bad

#14 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

go for it, this is exactly what we have noobfleet for.

I applaud the initiative.

edit: point of note, if you intend to invite both reds and blues to your fleet, make sure you notify both sides that you will be running a purple noobfleet. Just so there's no confusion when you pop somebody.

Didn't actually think of that!

Depending on how we go, I may only start with a red fleet. Depends on interests

#15 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:52 PM

It appeals to the RPer in me too, and it may provide an incentive for people to go explode some things. I'm not opposed to losing some ships in fun. I'm also trying to think of a way to provide a reward for the activity, although part of me says screw the reward, do it for the fun and camaraderie.

We should talk more. I'll figure something out but we should try and do this :)

#16 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 07 May 2013 - 11:55 PM

Day 1 New players group

First attempt and we got some people together for duels. Very informative evening with a lot of fun!

So special thanks too:

Cloudwolfe - The star of the show tonight. Has a ton of knowledge and let us practice getting close to his kiting ships

Rom Askiras - For some awesome duels and a REALLY annoying Tristan build that had us screaming

Revec Sangre - For some great questions. 

Here's hoping to get more evening's like this one!

And please, don't duel me in shield tank frigs... (Sorry Cloudwolfe)

Veda

#17 Galenwade

Galenwade

IT Guru

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1934 posts
Crewman 1st Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationQLD
  • Favorite Ship:anything with guns
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 08 May 2013 - 12:09 AM

Day 1 New players group

First attempt and we got some people together for duels. Very informative evening with a lot of fun!

So special thanks too:

Cloudwolfe - The star of the show tonight. Has a ton of knowledge and let us practice getting close to his kiting ships

Rom Askiras - For some awesome duels and a REALLY annoying Tristan build that had us screaming

Veda

Veda let me know of out standing players and i may hand out prizes to them , even if it is just a pack of frigates :)

I really like this idea, and the fact you are doing it on your own !

Running Noobfleet ideas and fleets is a special kind of herding cats, i really don't know how many times i have explained overview, Flight times , tracking and why you shouldn't fly a faction cruiser when you can barely fit a frigate !

Anytime you see a turtle up on top of a fencepost, you know he had some help
Alex Haley

#18 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:44 AM

Day 1 New players group
So special thanks too:

Veda

Veda let me know of out standing players and i may hand out prizes to them , even if it is just a pack of frigates :)

I really like this idea, and the fact you are doing it on your own !

Running Noobfleet ideas and fleets is a special kind of herding cats, i really don't know how many times i have explained overview, Flight times , tracking and why you shouldn't fly a faction cruiser when you can barely fit a frigate !

Ironically people just wanted to learn how to PvP better and have their questions answered. We somehow just focused on beating a kiting ship and everything else went from there. Prizes are always good and I'm sure we'll find a way to fit them in. Its all about a crowd for now

#19 Revec Sangre

Revec Sangre

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 4 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:incursus

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:51 PM

Thank you Mr Veda for bringing this subject up and better yet act on it. Yesternight I stayed awake for maybe a few minutes more than healthy, but enjoyed it immensely. :) I noticed that our small group really got it on very quickly and I think everyone of us got something out of it. I know I did! One could do a lot with that kind of group. Bookmarking, introducing certain combat mechanics one at a time or just comparing stats to reality. Cloudwolfe was really good at explaining a bit of space flight mechanics and netting/scrambling. And it was great to really see what it means in reality. Good work thus far Mr Veda. Im in. -RS-

#20 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:43 PM

Thank you Mr Veda for bringing this subject up and better yet act on it. Yesternight I stayed awake for maybe a few minutes more than healthy, but enjoyed it immensely. :)
I noticed that our small group really got it on very quickly and I think everyone of us got something out of it. I know I did!

One could do a lot with that kind of group. Bookmarking, introducing certain combat mechanics one at a time or just comparing stats to reality. Cloudwolfe was really good at explaining a bit of space flight mechanics and netting/scrambling. And it was great to really see what it means in reality.

Good work thus far Mr Veda. Im in.

-RS-

And that's all I'm aiming for right now. Getting people together to play and learn. Glad you learned something from the awesome Cloudwolfe. If you get a chance, could you message me with what time you're usually on and what else you'd like to learn/do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users