• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6904 posts
Chief Petty Officer  Member Reputation
  • LocationCanada
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:29 PM

I have 4. I may start another account or three just to vote for Mang :D. I know A guy who has 7 that I'm confident will vote for Mang.
Posted Image

#22 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11372 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Getting through the 200 votes required in March to go to the main election in April is certainly something I will achieve, however as various parties have mentioned to me today, the real test is then the STV counting system and how best to campaign with a "win" under that as the aim.

Setting up the right strategy for that is the real challenge for this election for candidates like myself I am sure.

#23 kodohumper

kodohumper

Sabre

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:rifter
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:30 AM

Big powerblock with voting cards could exploit that system and get multiple candidates in very easily if I understand it correctly. If say all the CFC members have the same 1,2,3,4 order conceivably they could get 4 candidates in. Right?

If you have smart exit-pollers you could allready do this before (depends how good you exit polls are).

For example: You keep votes in reserve up to a point in the election and if candidates 1,2 are a lock just shift the remaining pool to 3,4. 

It's a bit fairer for the little guy actually who is running alone ("in theory") .

In practice it usually means candidates are forced to group up. If nobody in the group has sufficient numbers to get elected by themselves they can tell their voters to vote a common slate and at least one or a couple from that slate make it because of the combined votes.

A candidate then just needs to assure that he is one of the more popular on that slate an he will benefit from the votes of the less popular ones in that group. 

I'll be very interested to see how the large null sec blocks arrange their voting strategy since:

a.) STV is not a widely used system and trying to find an effective gaming strategy might be a bit more difficult than normal.

b.) Some casual browsing suggest that how to manipulate the result is NP-hard to compute. (not bloody likely)

On the point of strategies I think a broad appeal to a large voter base is actually a good strategy. You want to be as high as you can on a broad group of ballots ( moreso in voter bases where candidates are sure to get elected or are sure to loose). Negative campigning is most likely not a good strategy so try and avoid it.

Oh and I pledge my 2 votes maybe more depending on how the market gods favour me between now and election time and how much plex I have available.

#24 ringusworm

ringusworm

Vagabond

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationBaconsville, Bacon Street
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin made from Bacon

Posted 01 March 2013 - 03:12 PM

2 Anchovies are Bacon of the sea

ringusworm.png

Bacon will save the world or destroy it

#25 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11372 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:03 AM

And they have decided on the counting system to be used, its known as the Wright System:

http://en.wikipedia....i/Wright_system

Trebor posted this about it:

You can find complete details on the Wright-STV algorithm here. It's a bit laborious but pretty straightforward.

A simplified explanation of the algoritm is as follows:

If at any time there only enough candidates left to fill the needed number seats, or that many people are provisionally elected, the election ends.

Total up how many first-preference votes each candidate received.

Any candidates who get more than the threshold are declared provisionally elected. The threshold is 1 + int(number of active votes / (number of seats+1))

The provisionally elected candidate with the most votes distributes his overages. If for example the threshold is 4000 votes, and a candidate gets 5000, then he needs 80% of his voting power to get elected, and has 20% to give away. You can imagine that those ballots are cut into two parts, an 80% part that the candidate keeps, and a 20% part. The 20% part is transferred to the most-preferred candidate on it who has not already been provisionally elected. So if you had been provisionally elected and where transferring a ballot that read "mynnna-Trebor-Malcanis", and I had also already been provisionally elected, the 20% ballot would go to Malcanis.

Once the overages are distributed, a check is made to see if anyone else has been provisionally elected.

Overage distribution continues until there are no provisionally elected candidates with overages to distribute. Note that fractional ballots that went to a candidate who became provisionally elected will be fractionally distributed -- if a candidate got a 20% ballot and himself distributes 10%, then he keeps an 18% ballot and sends on a 2% one!

At this point, if we don't have enough provisionally elected candidates, the candidate with the fewest number of first-place votes is eliminated (if there is a tie, the loser is determined randomly). His name is crossed off all the ballots they appear on. Any ballots that don't have any names left are considered "exhausted" and are discarded (which reduces the threshold in the next round of the election).

The election is then restarted from scratch, with one less candidate. All those ballots are glued back together, and we go through the whole process again. If you need to get rid of 25 candidates, you're going to go through 25 rounds unless you get lucky. Better sharpen those scissors...

I am coding up my own election software as a cross-check (it's a fun little project). There are a couple of fine points I want to confirm with CCP Veritas, but that's basically it.

https://forums.eveon...251#post2689251

#26 deiseman

deiseman

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 2 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Rifter
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 02 April 2013 - 10:53 AM

Hey, first post here! Must really go and post an introduction post after this :)

We have the STV system in Ireland and the one thing I would say to you when campaigning is to ask people not to put just one vote down on the ballot paper. When it comes to transfers and your vote is pulled out, if you only have 1 candidate down then your vote will not be eligible for a transfer. That's a wasted vote and really limits your say in the outcome of the election. The only "gaming" of the system that you can do is to mathematically guarantee that your vote will not be transferred to a certain individual. The way to do that is to place that individual as your last preference vote, which means filling in the entire voting card. The further down the ballot card you go the % chance of that person getting a vote via a transfer diminishes very quickly.

Transfers are going to be very important for you so if you can get that message out there for people to give you a high preference in their ballot. You don't need their number 1, 2-5 would do you for transfers and in the latter stages of the transfers and elections, their number 4 or 5 vote could be as valuable as a number 1.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users