• Executive Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 972 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • Favorite Ship:Golem/Vargur
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 19 February 2013 - 06:26 AM

I thought I would write this to help other fledgling PVP players.

Please keep in mind that I am coming from a Hisec PVP background and some of these things will be different in null or losec.

I don’t propose to be the king of PVP or really experienced. I just hope to offer some more insight to new pvpers from my eyes and experience.
As I never knew any of this to begin with.

Agression Mechanics.
Anytime you attack a pilot in hi-sec you get a 60 second aggression timer.
It won't allow you dock or jump through a gate till the timer has run down.

Now you can use this to your favour or it can help you get out of a situation.

Example A – You are sitting on a gate in hi-sec. You get attacked so you jump through the nearest gate to escape knowing the attacker cannot follow as he has incurred the 60 second timer.
Example B – You have seen a pilot or ship that you really don't want to fight, you jump through nearest gate. He follows – oh, crap. You can either warp off or just head back to the gate, knowing if he attacks he can't follow back through the gate again.
Effectively playing a little cat and mouse.

Same thing occurs at what is known as "station games".

You undock and as long as you don't shoot anyone or participate in an act of aggression you can re-dock.
The folks on the outside WANT you to shoot back as as soon as you do, BAM, you can't dock for 60 seconds and will most likely die in that time.
Be careful as there are various techniques folks get a fight this way on both sides.

I have seen it where a ship undocks, you think, I can take this ship easy!!. You attack (incur the 60 second aggression timer but not caring as you can take this guy easy)
A massive BUT, suddenly 5 other enemy ships undock knowing you can't dock and your suddenly blown up.

Understanding these mechanics will enable you to PVP with more confidence and with a clearer head.
I remember getting targeted the first time and attacked. You freak out and can't remember anything.
Instinct is to GTFO but as you become more experienced, you can think more clearly.

I hope this helps a little to you newer players and please folks, if i have some wrong data, please feel free to correct or add.
Cheers
Horm

#2 hormone1971

hormone1971

Team Leader

• Executive Coordinator
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:28 PM

Another bit of advice for the new player is to ask for 1 v 1's in t1 frigs ((you can fit them with T2 mods of you want/afford but the hull must be T1).

This will give you two thing. Confidence and experience.

When and if you die, ask what could i have done better. What tactic would have helped me. Most in RvB regardless in the same corp or not, will offer advice on how to improve, be it ship fits or tactic.

Once you have lost a lot of ships, hopefully that means you have learnt from it.

If you want to join fleets, dont feel intimidated. almost every fleet needs cheep tacklers. There is a place for noobs in an experienced fleet. Scouting even, intel is great to have. Any noob can fit a MWD and report positions.

#3 Kierowca Tankowca

Kierowca Tankowca

Drake

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Avatar

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:35 AM

+1

#4 Mr Veda

Mr Veda

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 84 posts
Recruit
  • LocationUK
  • Favorite Ship:Incursus
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:45 AM

Thanks for that I was never clear on aggression mechanics but that really helped :) Veda

#5 Certissian

Certissian

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Recruit
  • LocationGermany
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 08 May 2013 - 10:08 AM

Very nice writeup.

More often than not, seasoned pilots will gladly give newer pilots advice. Most, if not all of them have a pretty deep insight into the different mechanics and tactics involved in combat, which can be a real eye-opener. So don't be affraid to open up a convo after someone like me blows up your ship ;D

Posted Image

#6 Sione Tolutau

Sione Tolutau

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Recruit
  • LocationNZ
  • Favorite Ship:Tristan
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 14 June 2013 - 12:01 PM

I could have used this early on in RvB lol. I had to learn it standing still, getting blasted away and listening to "The-The-The-The-The-The-The Stargate denies you permission to jump through"

#7 Telemachus Rheade

Telemachus Rheade

Revelation

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2640 posts
Petty Officer 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationToronto, Canada
  • Favorite Ship:Imperial Navy Slicer

Posted 15 June 2013 - 11:20 PM

Another quick tip, if you aren't sure how to fit your ships, look at the killboards. Most people that fit T1 ships with T2 mods have decent fits.

Also download EFT: https://forums.eveon...g=posts&t=24359

(There are other fitting tools too, but this is the one I use)

Also, download Evemon: http://evemon.battleclinic.com/

(helps with planning your skills)

You can import your API data to both those applications. Your API can be found here: https://support.eveo...ages/Login.aspx

(What is an API? http://wiki.eveonlin...ki/API_Security)

Those two programs might come off as complex and intimidating at first. They are super easy to use with a little poking around, and as a newbie player, sets you up for success by allowing you to plan your skills and fitting better according to your skills.

Posted Image

#8 Sharrow Vatuiel

Sharrow Vatuiel

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationMelbourne
  • Favorite Ship:vexor

Posted 17 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Great thread. For me the biggest thing I have learned in my short time in Eve, RvB and PvPing is keep moving. I died a lot of times early sitting still in space. Seems kinda obvious in hind sight, but there you go.

It was the first step of a path I have a long way to go down - understanding movement and range. Learning the hard way too. This FFA frigate weekend has been a great teacher - getting picked off by fast frigates when seperated from the fleet, with the rest of the team racing to catch up!

Looking forward to lots more tips from you vets.

Yeah baby, groovy - Sharrow Vatuiel (formerly known as Shaggy), Red Federation, RvB

SHAGADELIC

#9 hormone1971

hormone1971

Team Leader

• Executive Coordinator
  • 972 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:37 AM

Panic on PVP

Again, this is from my experience personally but I imagine that others would be in a similar boat.
Panic is your enemy as much as your "in game" enemy.
Say you just jump through a gate and bam, you get tackled.
Your brain does not think straight, its the flight or fight bit of your brain kicking in.
Humans have Flight as the default setting. It helped us millions of years ago as a species so its hard to overcome.
But overcome you must to be good at PVP.
I am still not great at it, but improving. As long as I improve or learn from every death, then its fine.

I suggest you just use cheap fits and prepare to loose them all. Fly around like you don't care. Do silly things with them.
You just need to get your PVP confidence up and be able to act faster and clearer.

You want to be a machine. 
You get tackled, you then think like a machine.
What modules or action can either allow me to escape or win the fight or achieve the goal.
Just think and do.

Again, nothing earth shattering just letting you noobs out there know that you will get better and don't be afraid to loose some cheap ships.
Enjoy :)

#10 ringusworm

ringusworm

Vagabond

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationBaconsville, Bacon Street
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin made from Bacon

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Shite , there goes the neighbourhood .

Anchovies are Bacon of the sea

ringusworm.png

Bacon will save the world or destroy it

#11 hormone1971

hormone1971

Team Leader

• Executive Coordinator
  • 972 posts

Posted 04 October 2013 - 06:27 AM

thanks Ringusworm :)

#12 hormone1971

hormone1971

Team Leader

• Executive Coordinator
  • 972 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:31 AM

bump - good info for new members

#13 hormone1971

hormone1971

Team Leader

• Executive Coordinator
  • 972 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:17 AM

Just had a thought (yes, I can think occasionally) I would mention something helpful for new folks wanting to know if a gate is clear.

Instead of just landing at Zero and going "SHIT", what you should do is land first at a corporate gate tac.

If you right click in space, at the bottom of the window that pops up, thee are corporate bookmarks at the bottom.
Each of the standard gates will also be listed there (Ppin, otela, jos etc..) and as a sub menu of those gate, there will be a top, bottom, left, right, back and front. Each of those are 300kms from the gate itself. 

You may or may not know that you can only warp to an object if its 150kms of more away. So by landing 300kms away at on of the tac's, you can then scout the gate safely for a moment (the enemy can warp to the same tac so don't sit there forever) and you can then warp direct to the gate easily.

#14 Jamier Legov

Jamier Legov

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 658 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Damnation
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:24 PM

what you should do is land first at a corporate gate tac.
If you right click in space, at the bottom of the window that pops up, thee are corporate bookmarks at the bottom.

I'd suggest warping to one of the tacs, but at some range, not at 0. The tacs are known by both corps, so if you sitting on it at 0, they can just warp to you.
And, more then once, I've warped to a tac to find myself I the middle of the enemy fleet, which didn't end well for me.
Note: the opinions expressed in any of my posts are mine alone, and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of leadership in RvB or even the majority of people in RvB.

#15 Lady Ayeipsia

Lady Ayeipsia

Chimera

• RvB Insider
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3402 posts
Senior Chief Petty Officer  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Kestrel

Posted 24 February 2014 - 03:32 PM

Two thoughts... Once you warp to a corp tactical at range, burn up or down and make your own personal tacts. Personal tacticals make scouting and toying with gate camps much, much easier.

Also... NO WHITE FONT! LOL many of us use the mobile theme. When you use a white font, we see white on white which leads to no fun. So please, unless necessary for formating purpose, let the forum pick the font color. And if you must use a color for emphasis, use a red or green. Other colors do not mesh well with the various themes for the boards.

#16 hormone1971

hormone1971

Team Leader

• Executive Coordinator
  • 972 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:37 AM

good idea Lady.
Re the font, i have tried other colours and folks have then complained also.
I can see the white font on a mobile - perhaps its just yours?

#17 Jamier Legov

Jamier Legov

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 658 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Damnation
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:10 PM

Nope, I can't see the font either. 

I believe it is a function of the font you use combined with the IP.Board theme.

Note: the opinions expressed in any of my posts are mine alone, and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of leadership in RvB or even the majority of people in RvB.

#18 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Administrators
  • 11372 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:19 PM

Two thoughts... Once you warp to a corp tactical at range, burn up or down and make your own personal tacts. Personal tacticals make scouting and toying with gate camps much, much easier.

Also... NO WHITE FONT! LOL many of us use the mobile theme. When you use a white font, we see white on white which leads to no fun. So please, unless necessary for formating purpose, let the forum pick the font color. And if you must use a color for emphasis, use a red or green. Other colors do not mesh well with the various themes for the boards.

You dont use tapatalk? 

However Lady is spot on with the colour comments - apart from his abuse of the word colour ;D  

#19 Lady Ayeipsia

Lady Ayeipsia

Chimera

• RvB Insider
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3402 posts
Senior Chief Petty Officer  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Kestrel

Posted 14 March 2014 - 04:59 PM

Look, when we gained our independence, we gave you back that extra u, and fixed the screwy way you spell meter as well.

#20 hormone1971

hormone1971

Team Leader

• Executive Coordinator
  • 972 posts

Posted 07 November 2014 - 08:02 PM

bump