#21 Kazume Nakuo

Kazume Nakuo

Astarte

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationAustria
  • Favorite Ship:Crusader (for the looks!)
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

I'd be interested to play, but not sure if I'll be able to in the very near future, so I'll get back to this thread when I'm actually ready to try :)

Kazume_white_on_transparent.png

#22 Ptygmit

Ptygmit

Raven

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1114 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Taranis
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 16 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks to Mang, I am all up and running, Zerge. I've played a few games vs bots and man.... it's a tough game when you don't know what you're doing! Watching some youtube vids helped a little, but there's still an aweful lot to think about.

I'm playing Zeus at the moment... good choice for a nub?

#23 Zerge Bacon

Zerge Bacon

Drake

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
Recruit
  • LocationEast Coast, USA
  • Favorite Ship:Vexor
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 16 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

well my small thing on heros evolved to a bit bigger..then I played a match and it evolved again...now its going to be a small guide. Wall o'text incoming should be up soon :P

also....sorry :D

#24 Warkamsin

Warkamsin

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Recruit
  • LocationKailua-Kona, Hawaii
  • Favorite Ship:Stabber
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:11 AM

Damn you Zerge for getting me back into this game, up to 20 hours in the last two weeks now. Argggghhhh. For anyone else that wants i have like 6 invites sitting around at this point as well.

For those that haven't played this game before or this style of game at least, put on your big boy pants cause you're gonna get yelled at a lot to start with. The community is utterly brutal for the uninitiated. Try to play with people you know, it really makes a world of difference.

I started to write a list of things i thought new players should know here, but then it turned into an essay on how to not play dota, sooooooooooo, i'll just add my two cents to the end of Zerge's guide when it comes out. ;)

#25 Warkamsin

Warkamsin

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 54 posts
Recruit
  • LocationKailua-Kona, Hawaii
  • Favorite Ship:Stabber

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:12 AM

Also, i've got a bunch of duplicate items if anyone ever feels like swapping duplicates out of their inventory. Just freind request me in dota. Game name is Xri42.

#26 Zerge Bacon

Zerge Bacon

Drake

• RvB Member
  • 467 posts
Recruit

Posted 17 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

Alright! Here is the spiel I'll give the new guys. I don't know how new or informed you all are so I'm just going to assume you know how to move your guy around and use your spells/items and that's about it.

Honestly I didn't mean to write all this down I just kept thinking I can't leave this out, or this..or this and here we are now. Really this is a whole shit ton of text and I haven't fully proof read it cause it's super late now. So I'm posting this but if there are sentence fragments or it's super confusing, just point it out and when I edit it I'll fix. Also some of this is my opinion and potentially not the whole story(since there's a lot!) so try to take it as stuff to think about. First things first -

Controls
Go to your settings: turn off auto-attack, this is insanely important. Also change the key you use to stop to 'hold', I'm not sure which one this is defaulted to, just make sure you're using hold.

The concept
I'm going to attempt to break down the essence of this game lol, while team composition changes strategy quite a lot there are some things that remain static. A game of dota2 will last anywhere from 30 minutes to 1.5hr(very unlikely) and is generally thought to be broken into three stages: Early, mid, late. A very very brief explanation of each will follow. Note there are many other things to worry about, especially if you're playing different heros than I'll suggest later, these are just the main points. Early game for you starting out is about not dying firstly, denying creeps only if you can avoid dying, and NOT killing creeps as you will likely be in lane with someone who needs more farm than you. It is better to sit behind your creeps but out of range of the enemies and just get XP than to try getting denies or farm then die. Mid game is about ganking, pushing towers while defending your own towers, and some team fights. Late game is about team fights and pushing barracks while being as 'farmed' as possible. Each lane has a melee and ranged barracks, if you kill either one you will get upgraded creeps respectively; the melee barracks is more important. Obviously at any point in time during the game you want to get kills if you can but dying is especially bad early game. If you die 2/3 times before 5 minutes...you're gonna have a bad time, promise.

Farm. What's that you say? There's a farm in Dota2? Is there bacon n eggs on the farm and can I have some? Farming is the act of amassing gold from killing creeps/heros/towers to get good items with. The team with the most farm in the late game stage 7 times out of 10 will win. In the early game it is mission critical for your 'carries' to get the farm in their respective lanes so that they can continue to farm at the highest level throughout the game. This is why you turned auto-attack off, so that you do not attack creeps and ruin the carries chance at getting last hits. NOTE: if there are no friendly heros around or you are in a solo lane, then YOU are trying to get all the last hits on enemy creeps...Be careful not to die while doing it though =). You'd rather sit back far enough to not get hit and collect xp then go in and get a creep kill or two then die.
Last hit/Deny
Hitting a creep right when it is in very low health so that you either kill or deny it. When a creep dies without being denied it grants the killer gold and all enemy heros in a certain range(~1000 units/just past sight range) split the xp. Denying a creep is when you get the last hit on your own team's creep. When a creep goes below half health it may be attacked by it's own team. If a creep is denied it reduces the xp given and more importantly/obviously blocks the other team from getting the last hit thus gold. Towers may also be denied, once they are lower than 100 health their own team may attack them. The important thing to remember about denies is that even though you can attack once it gets to half health only the last hit is the important one so practicing timing is key.
Runes
At every even minute(starting with 00:00) a rune will spawn in one of two places. There are 4 types of runes that can spawn, invisibility, regeneration, double damage, illusion(makes 2 illusions of your hero that take more damage and do less damage). Rune control is very key as being ganked with something like invis kinda ruins days, more on this when I talk about the best item in the whole entire game.

Heros
I would suggest you play earth-shaker, lion, or vengeful spirit. I'll look for a few more guys that would be good but those three are quite good heros and relatively simple. The reason I chose them is that they are 'support' heros. But they also have a lot of stuns or disables, which works well on pretty much any team. Since you don't know all of the hundreds of heros you need to get good with a few while learning wtf all the rest do(as they own you hard and call you mean names).
Stats
Every hero has 3 stats, strength, agility, intel, one of these stats will be their primary stat. Every +1 in these stats gives certain things: strength gives health and health regen, agility gives attack speed and small amount of armor, intel gives mana and mana regen. Each +1 in the primary attribute will give to + attack damage.
Skill/Item builds
If you're still trying to learn all the heros just use the items that are suggested on the left side in the shop. Make sure to ALWAYS have an item in the quick buy so that when you get enough gold for it you can just press b and auto-buy the next piece of the item. This is important since dying happens and when you die you lose a large amount of your gold, 200-300 I think but you can't lose gold you've already spent on items =).

Ability tree, basically how you level up(or increase) a hero's abilities while you leveling up your hero. I.e. At lvl 1 = +1 to first ability, lvl 2 = +1 to second ability, lvl 3 = 1 to first etc. etc.. In general there will be one or two abilities on each hero that you want to pump lvl's into. You can't put lvls into abilities unevenly, I.e. if you put a lvl into the first ability you can't put another into it until lvl 3, then 5....

Earthshaker(ES) strength - He's the stunner, his skill tree:
  • fissure - makes a long temporary(~5s) impassable wall from where the hero is in the direction of the mouse click which stuns any enemy that it lands near. This is the first skill you get and is the primary skill you want to increase any chance you get(unless you just turned lvl 6, then always get your ult).
  • totem something - increases ES's next attack damage by a certain amount per level. More importantly it works in tandem with ES's next ability, put A SINGLE level into this ability then don't touch it again until all the rest of his abilities can't be upgraded.
  • Aftershock - whenever ES casts a spell....there is an aoe stun around him. SWEEEET. Basically once you have lvl on in the totem skill you max fissure and aftershock out then you can cast totem and anyone immediately around you is stunned.
  • Echo slam - slams the ground and waves bounce more times with more enemies in a medium sized area around ES. The more enemies around, the more damage it does. The goal with his ult is to use blink dagger(once you've farmed enough for it) into a group of bads then to ult. Everyone is stunned(cause of aftershock \o/) and if there's enough around, you've done a TON of damage. Then use totem to keep them stunned, and fissure at will... preferably do this while you're team is around and they will love you if you havnt already killed everyone with the combo.
Vengeful Spirit(VS) agility - all around support hero:
  • stun - just what it says...it's a single target stun, point at a hero and stun them...hopefully you're friends are coming too. This is the primary skill you want to lvl up at any chance.
  • Wave of terror - shoots a 'missle' in a straight line for quite a ways which gives vision, and affects any enemy it hits with a verrrry small amount of damage and armor reduction. I get a lvl in this sometime around 7-8 but you can get it earlier at the expense of the next spell if you want.
  • damage aura - grants + % damage to all friendly units within a medium range. Nice for helping out your carry in getting last hits as the margin of error is easier for them.
  • Swap - swaps your position with a target unit! Pretty sweet initiation skill, you're going to need to practice when the right time to use this is. If your team is attempting to gank...bring the enemy closer to your friends. You need to be a bit tanky because of this skill, you kinda get left in bad spots a lot of the time.
Lion intel - support ganker:
  • Spikes - stuns everything in a small straight line ending at the spot on the ground you clicked. This is your primary skill to upgrade at the start.
  • frog - target a unit and turn it into a frog. Use this on heros to take them out of the fight temporarily. Lvl this one in tandem with your third while keeping your spikes at highest level possible.
  • Mana drain - target a unit and take its mana. Useful early game if you are against enemies that don't harrass much. You can target the ranged creep in the enemies wave and take it's mana if the other team isnt around or are little school girls in skirts.
  • Finger of death - one unit target, massive damage. Use this shit on squishy heros(like yourself) whilst disabling and stunning any particularly nasty heros.
With these heros specifically, once you get to mid game(which can be lvl6-10 depending on how the game is going) you're going to want to leave lane and start ganking with a few people or call people into your lane. Use your stuns on whatever your friends want to kill...or initiate with stuns on weak heros so they cant run away as easy.

OK so I talked a lot earlier about how dying sucks and if you do it too much you're gonna have a bad time.

How to not die...basically positioning and practice. The key is to be aware of your surroundings, check your minimap, listen for missing calls. Try to keep friendly creeps in between you and the enemy heros and if you see an enemy running towards you and past your creeps they are probably going to attack you. This is called harassing and both sides will do it. It's basically trying to do damage without taking damage. If the enemy has a very long range attack then you have to back up farther and if they come at you, you have to run away quicker. It's really hard to describe what to do to stay alive since it's very much based on what you can see at any given point. This game is very quick and a lot of times if you're in the wrong position when the enemy makes a move, you're going to die. End of story. Running through the woods when 3 enemies are as well? Dead...This happens to me at least once a game and I've been playing for 10 years, it will happen to you a lot more!

THE BEST ITEM IN THE GAME!!!!
"OMGZ LUL FINALLY TEH GOOD PARTZ I THOUGHT HE'D NEVER SHUT UP WEWT"
The best item in the game is....drum roll. OBSERVER WARDS FOR 150 GOLD! I'm not fucking joking. Vision of key locations on the map will save your team's collective life, get you kills, give you peace of mind, and will end up winning or losing you the game. Basically for 150 you get two 5 or 6 minute wards that you place in a spot where they will stay until they expire. They give a large radius of vision over that spot so it's key to put them at the correct places. Since you will be playing support heros, it's generally going to be your job to get wards or courier(courier is a unit that can bring items from base to heros in lane, also a must have at the beginning of every game).

Here is a guide that shows you many different places to put wards and a bit of explination on them. Basically you don't have to read that if you dont want but here are the 3 spots you MUST know how to ward. Top ward, bottom ward if you're dire, bottom ward if you're radiant. Sadly those are small images but they are the best I can find. Try it in a practice game - halfway down the river on each side there is a plateau... You have to click on the ward(or use the hotkey) then click on the spot where it looks like in the picture. Basically on the top of the little plateaus. This wards will give your team vision of the runes and warning if gankers are incoming.

More to come maybe on stacking, pulling, jungling and rosh....
But honestly you'll learn about all that if you keep your comms on and play a few games.

#27 Ptygmit

Ptygmit

Raven

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1114 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Taranis

Posted 18 January 2013 - 02:32 AM

Great info, Zerge. Thanks!

I am starting to get the hang of it... very slowly. Been playing Lion, Zeus and a bit of Sven - just against bots atm.

The thing I think I am finding most frustrating is handling the camera! It feels like it's not zoomed out enough (at max height), and I HATE moving it around with the mouse. It feels so clunky. Am I msising something?

#28 Zerge Bacon

Zerge Bacon

Drake

• RvB Member
  • 467 posts
Recruit

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:38 AM

Nope zoomed out is not too far away I agree it needs farther! How I tend to move my camera to view other places on the map is via the mini-map. Use it allll the time for checking where all your enemies are or aren't. If you can't see them, assume they are coming to kill you.

I would honestly try to get playing against humans asap. It will suck for a bit, but you will get into it quicker I think. Just enjoy it for what it is and have fun, if people start bashing you just mute then and don't say a word. Fuck um.

One note on zues and sven. Zues is a great easy hero to use the major drawback is he's generally a mid hero which ends up being the hardest lane of the bunch. Sven is a really nice hero to use as well, but he is a carry, which means you really need to pwn. He's not one of the harder carries though, so you might get away with using him if your team has someone else that can carry late game.

Add me on steam dude, '13aconator' is my steam id I think.

#29 Panda101

Panda101

Sabre

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
Recruit
  • LocationGlasgow
  • Favorite Ship:Hawk

Posted 09 February 2013 - 10:54 AM

I have 17 game invites if anyone wishes to take part 

#30 Zerge Bacon

Zerge Bacon

Drake

• RvB Member
  • 467 posts
Recruit

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:46 PM

I'm still playing this like all the time, saw a few of you on but still only have played with war I think. Hit me up!

Just converted some RL friends from LOL too so I am playing with plenty of newbs. Also if anyone with invites wants to toss a few my way I'm running low, think I only have 1 or 2 left.

#31 Estebanzo Rufius

Estebanzo Rufius

Inquisitor

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Navy Slicer

Posted 31 July 2014 - 04:28 AM

Anyone in RvB actively playing dota 2 right now? I haven't played in several months because of comp issues, but I have a new laptop currently shipping to me, so I'll be able to play again. 

I am decently experienced with around 600 games played, but I'm probably quite rusty. I'm a chill player and okay with playing with both new players and veterans. Most of the time I play offlane or support.

Here's my steam ID if anyone is interested in playing some matches together. If we got a few people it could be fun to do some captain's mode games just for kicks.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kazoos

#32 Zemo Walden

Zemo Walden

Rupture

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Breacher

Posted 01 August 2014 - 12:28 PM

I played LoL a few years ago but liked Heroes of Newearth more, then moved to Dota 2 when it came out on Beta,. I personally like Dota 2 more than LoL as it's more professional imo with creep denying and everything. LoL is more of a new player friendly version of Dota. Have a team for Dota 2 with r/l friends.

#33 Estebanzo Rufius

Estebanzo Rufius

Inquisitor

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Navy Slicer

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:26 AM

If anyone is actively playing this, hit me up if you want to play some matches:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/kazoos/