Skywarden

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 3 posts
Recruit
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:48 PM

Hello everyone!

I recently joined RvB and I'm looking for some tips to get started. So far I've spent some time flying solo in a kestrel trying to find fights. I have managed to find a few fight so far, but they haven't been going my way. I'm not really surprised that I'm losing fights because I'm quite bad at pvp, but I am surprised that I'm losing them without seemingly being able to do anything to my opponent. Just a moment ago I was fighting a breacher with my kestrel, and despite having two ancillary shield boosters and resistance rigs on my ship I died incredibly quickly, while my opponent was easily able to rep his shields through my damage. Here's the fit I was using:

4* t2 rocket launchers (Inferno rage rockets)

2* medium ancillary shield booster

t2 warp scrambler

5mn cold-gas enduring microwarpdrive (I realize this should have been an afterburner)

t2 co-Processor

t2 damage control

2*em rigs

thermal rig

Now I realize that the mwd was a terrible choice for a brawl, and it's probably part of the reason why I died so quickly. Still, that doesn't change the fact that I was dealing negligible damage and I would never have been able to take him out in time. Are there any tips that you could give me based on this to help me improve my game? Thanks in advance!

PS. my character has quite decent skills to fly a kestrel.

#2 Nikolai Mazinkov

Nikolai Mazinkov

Pewasaurus Rex

• Administrators
  • 1415 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationTEXAS
  • Favorite Ship:Mobile Blaster Unit
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:41 PM

If you like this fit, try a similar one on a breacher, rockets and two ancillary shield boosters. Mix up your fittings until you like it.

Also, you could try a medium shield extender and a web, which would allow you to stay just inside of rocket range and try to mitigate the incoming damage from short range ships like blasters and autocannons. 

Best advice is buy 100 of your chosen hull, kestrel, breacher, whatever, and fit 5 the same way. Lose 5, change the fit, rinse repeat until all 100 are gone. You will be a better pilot in the end, then pick a new ship and repeat!

Also, if you poke people in chat for a 1v1, let them know you are new and see if they are willing to fight to structure. Most people will be willing to stop shooting at that point if you ask them to fight to structure before the fight starts, then you can learn lessons and  change up your fit without taking as many losses.

"Remember That You Must Die"
RvB Bannersmall

#3 Skywarden

Skywarden

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 3 posts
Recruit

Posted 20 February 2017 - 07:56 PM

Thank you for the tips. I guess I'll try again tomorrow. :)

#4 Abysus

Abysus

Rupture

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Recruit
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:10 PM

Next to Nikolai's suggestions, you can also try a dual web/armor Kestrel.  Slower and less EHP, but much more range control, plus surprise factor.

Suitonia is a famous Kestrel pilot: https://www.youtube....veiseasy/videos

Best idea is indeed Nikolai's: ask a 1vs1 in chat, fight to structure only.

PM me in game for that.

#5 Hans andven

Hans andven

Shuttle

• Friend of RvB
  • 1 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Vengeance
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 20 February 2017 - 10:19 PM

Sometimes you're just going to run into bad matchups too. Eve can be very much a game of Rock Scissors Paper, not just with ships but fits too. Without a web and scram in this case you were unable to dictate range. My rage rockets wouldn't have hit out to max scram range and you could have scram kited me with an AB while your bonuses rockets would have hit just fine.

I've found plenty of people are willing to share their fits after a fight, or just check their killboard and it could tell you too. Check your logs, use all that intel to see what you could have done differently. Did you ship have any advantages you didn't exploit? Did you accidentally sit in their optimal range? Were you firing the wrong kind of Ammo right at their top resist?

I completely agree the best way to do it is just buy a ton of Kestrals and keep welping them. 

#6 Skywarden

Skywarden

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 3 posts
Recruit

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:15 PM

Thank you for the advice everyone! It was very helpful. Actually before I joined RvB I had Red Frog transfer 250 Kestrels and 30 Coraxes to red HQ, so I've got at least that covered. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users