• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11330 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 22 February 2012 - 09:36 AM

Hey chaps!

Decided to write an article or two on my blog about RvB - makes a change from me doing :words: about Ganked.

So to that end I need vidya's, images, a paragraph from you of your experiences, quotes from fleet chat and so on. Good or bad, its all okay.

So post em if you got them :)

I will give credit to all sources of course.

#2 shinnen

shinnen

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Ibis

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:18 PM

I still wanna see the write-up for the Pedro ganked. But I'll post some screens when I get in tonight.

#3 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:31 PM

Thats in draft at mo, i leep getting distracted.

#4 Delucian

Delucian

Wyvern

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5606 posts
Chief Petty Officer  Member Reputation
  • LocationTexas
  • Favorite Ship:Atron

Posted 22 February 2012 - 01:51 PM

How do you want it? Posted there, posted here, emailed to you?

I'm a walking nightmare, an arsenal of doom
I kill conversation as I walk into the room
I'm a three line whip, I'm the sort of thing they ban
I'm a walking disaster, I'm a demolition man

Delucian.png

#5 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 02:34 PM

post here is fine.

(please dont eve mail me I get a lot of that every day)

#6 Bernadette Kasenumi

Bernadette Kasenumi

Prophecy

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Thrasher

Posted 22 February 2012 - 05:46 PM

RvB - A Noobspective

RvB has been an interesting experience for me. The first time I played Eve it was with a few co-workers and it was... overwhelming. Mining was about the only thing I understood, so that's what I did. Eventually I got bored and stopped playing. One thing I didn't stop doing, however, was watching the alliance tournament. That's how I was introduced to PvP, and it looked like *fun*. A lot of fun. But the tournament made it seem like PvP was only for the elite. I had some picture in my mind of these players roaming through low sec (I'd never even heard of null sec by that time) stalking their prey like a cat. A space cat. I remember RvB in this tournament. I thought the alliance sounded like a fantastic idea; creating an group whose point was PvP and lots of it. But I still thought this was something I had to work up to. Until one of the co-workers I played with previously, Cameron Zero, told me he had joined RvB. He sent me a free trial and I started a new account. After a bit of training and some re-learning I too joined RvB.

At first RvB seemed scary. Really scary. You had a whole language I didn't understand. Plus, half of you are not from States like I am (bollox this, wanker that), so that didn't help me to understand you all any better. I was intimidated. I was scared. That is, until I joined my first fleet; blew up my first ship. It. Was. GLORIOUS! After that I was hooked.

After a few weeks of this I joined my first ganked. By this time I had come to better understand the difference between high sec and low sec, but this null sec... I was scared again. And I stayed scared up until the first time I was podded. It wasn't so bad! And it gave me a chance to look at some of the kill mails we were getting:

http://rvbganked.co....ll_detail/1217/

HOLY CRAP WE KILLED HYDRA! I recognized this name from the alliance tournament as well. And his ship cost sooooo much isk (ha). Mine was practically free (my rifters still cost me less than half a million), but by golly I killed me a big one!

Recently I've finally developed the guts to 1v1 on my own, what with the SWOT event. A portion of my bravery is the 300m isk I won designing the ganked board header (which is in honor of my favorite ganked theme, arty thrashers) but most of my bravery is a result of RvB showing me that *I* am the scariest thing in space, because I don't care if I go boom.

Posted Image

Signature by macH eoN

#7 Delucian

Delucian

Wyvern

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5606 posts
Chief Petty Officer  Member Reputation
  • LocationTexas
  • Favorite Ship:Atron

Posted 24 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Little late on submitting this, but here you go Mang;

Dyeing to Brawling to Finesse

Since joining RvB, I have had some very memorable fights and been involved in some very memorable events.

For most the lure and ease of getting into large fleet fights, which Mangala details here, are of course the bread and butter of what RvB is.

However, for some of us, there is the lure of solo and small gang (sub 5 man) guerilla warfare that really get us going. Yea, I still get in and even FC fleets from time to time, but my favorite thing to do is to go out on my own or with one or two more and see what I can pick off.

Generally, RvB land is rich with viable targets – if you can get in and get out fast. You don’t, and you die horribly to the fleet that your target is inevitably tied in with. Learning to cull out people from the pack and then being able to either do a lot of damage fast or call in a few Wolf pack members and bail creates both great fun (for the Wolf pack) and, at times, many tears and moans in local from the target.

I think solo and small gang, IMHO, at least provides some level of survivability for a target over the typical blob mentality. So my sympathy for the target is diminished. However, I am always game for a follow on 1v1 should someone feel the need for retribution. I get a lot of good secondary kills this way as well, and those I lose I typically end up with a 50/50 outcome unless I get greedy.

Small, fast and ganky is the way to go with these guerilla tactics. Tanky will typically just get you killed slower. In a recent fight with a frig and an Arby, our small gang was able to take down the frig quickly, then pop the Arby as two other cruisers jumped in. I was targeted, webbed and scrammed as I finished off the Arby, began to burn out with the AB overheated and break scram. However, I did not burn out far enough and as I realigned to warp out drifted back into scram range and got popped.
Regardless, it was a great fight with only me losing a Rifter and I learned a valuable lesson.

What I have found with both solo’ing and small gang engagements is a level of finesse and skill that I was not learning in larger fleets. My evolution from my early fights where I just died a lot in as heavily tanked frigs and cruisers as I could build, to better brawling skills and handling kiters, to both building ships tailored to a type of fighting style and tactics to the situation at hand.

I also cannot say enough about the massive need for situational awareness. I found as this improved my ability to manage the situation improved. I know that sounds very rudimentary, but it is amazing how exponentially simple situational awareness can improve your fighting skills.

Transfer this situational awareness to the ability to FC and it is more important than any skill your character will train. I fully understand how easy getting overwhelmed in a fleet battle can be. How I realized that this skill had drastically improved was highlighted in a recent fleet fight.

Called upon to switch to my very low SP character in Red Fed to help out FC’ing a 12 man fleet that had on FC, I rounded everyone up and jumped in to engage a Blue fleet. Upon arrival I noticed we were outmanned by about 3 Blue pilots and they had more Dessy’s than we did. I had a scout watching them as they jumped into system. We were 0 on gate so options disappeared in an instant.

I quickly told fleet that we would take the Dessy’s first and then move on. I demanded focused fire and complete adherence to target calling, which it normally not my style. However, the Dessy’s started falling fast as we burned through them with full DPS. Turning to the light frigs and working our way up, enemy forces dropped quickly and we soon owned the field.

We did a quick loot, but I ordered everyone off the field quickly to avoid getting caught being greedy. Effectively, the outcome was a great fight against pitched odds where just staying focused on the task at hand really paid off.

Solo’ing, small gang action and full on fleet have taught me a massive amount in a short time. As I try to pass these tactics along in RvB NoobFleet and get new players to follow an FC the way they should, I am very grateful to those who have taught me (both in Fleet and 1v1 – like Mangala), who make RvB what it is.

I'm a walking nightmare, an arsenal of doom
I kill conversation as I walk into the room
I'm a three line whip, I'm the sort of thing they ban
I'm a walking disaster, I'm a demolition man

Delucian.png

#8 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:15 AM

Bump!

Give me more.

First article is going up today!

#9 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Lots of new folks, write stuff for me, or give vidya or pictures etc etc

And you too can end up on my blog: http://mangala.rvbganked.co.uk/

#10 SaintCav

SaintCav

Astarte

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Favorite Ship:Tengu

Posted 06 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Going to start working on one for you today after work.
RvB Char: SaintCav
Hauler Alt: Eviah
Posted Image

#11 Chris Winters

Chris Winters

Rifter

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 56 posts
Recruit
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:53 PM

Feel free to use my AAR. You can also add anything about fc'ing in RvB if you feel in a writing mode

#12 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:56 PM

Feel free to use my AAR. You can also add anything about fc'ing in RvB if you feel in a writing mode

I shall do fella :)

Much appreciated.

#13 SaintCav

SaintCav

Astarte

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationColumbus, Ohio
  • Favorite Ship:Tengu

Posted 06 March 2012 - 11:09 PM

Here you go Mangala, feel free to edit as you need/want:

Summer of 2010 a handful of friends and I decided to try out Eve online. I jumped in with them and started doing missions and ratting for isk. After a couple on month's most of the guys I was playing with stopped playing, I had some things come up and let my account expire. Fast forward after being out of game for about 6 months I was able to convince 1 of the old guys I played with to give it a try again. I picked the game back up and was back at it with mission running and the new thing Incursions.

Boring to sum it up, I needed something to do, my buddy has pirated and done low sec PvPing. I having never really done any PvPing and decided to give it a try, man did I fail. What I really wanted was to find a group of people to play Eve with and be able to get the instant thrill of PvP without what my buddy complains of as the drought of being able to find a fight in low sec. RvB was the thing that came to mind, so I dropped the roles I had in our corporation we formed back in 2010 and applied to Blue.

To this date I have been in Blue Republic for about a month and I have loved every moment of it. I can login and normally within moments join a fleet and start shooting at something. The problem I have now is keeping ships fitted to throw into the fray, but trust me that is a good problem and I wouldn't have it any other way. With the limited combat zone (Lonertek) for RvB I am still able to keep my jump clones and mission ships out there to when needed jump into them and do some missions, but it is not required.

Thanks to RvB I have found the reason why to keep playing Eve, my real life friends may no longer play but I have through RvB found a community that I enjoy flying with. So to all of you out there thinking is RvB for you, give it a try, you can come and go as you please, but remember to have fun and fly dangerously while doing it.
RvB Char: SaintCav
Hauler Alt: Eviah
Posted Image

#14 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 02:09 PM

Many of you have been here a week now, so if you are that new to RvB and found your way here, I need words/pictures etc - dont need to write masses and masses, but please share you opinions/experiences :)

And of course, I really really want my fellow vets to provide me with words.

#15 Huff Duff

Huff Duff

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 2 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Rifter

Posted 11 March 2012 - 03:20 PM

I took some atmospheric shots on yesterdays ganked:

http://dl.eve-files....10.22.56.22.jpg
http://dl.eve-files....10.23.25.04.jpg
http://dl.eve-files....10.23.25.58.jpg
http://dl.eve-files....10.22.56.09.jpg

feel free to use them.

#16 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Chris, Huff, I'll be using you both next week as I had others ready for part 2 which went up today :)

#17 Targan Yaken

Targan Yaken

Sabre

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Drake

Posted 12 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Soon after I started playing EVE (I am a EVE newbie, only started playing a couple of months ago) I heard about these RvB Ganked nights and then about RvB.
I decided to try a ganked night which proved to be the most fun I have had in my gaming experience until I joined BLUE. During a RL stasis period I was able to play a lot for a period of a month and I must say, I don't think I could have spent it in a better place than RvB. With out a doubt the most fun I have ever had in a video game and I am quite proud of being the Top Loser for February 2012.

What I like most about RvB is the casual nature of it all, just follow some very simple rules and have fun.

I swear, swapping out red crosses for transparent boxes on the overview makes all the difference in EVE.

#18 Keef Purelove

Keef Purelove

Inquisitor

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts
Recruit
  • LocationLand of the Rising Bog

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

I like the utterly chaotic nature of RvB, its all good. Any one can do anything as long as doesn't violate the rules (mostly to do with podding and being a dick). If you have no experience and want to FC - crack on sunshine, we'll let you. And keep letting you until your own embarrassment stops you from doing it again or you get better at it and decide you don't want to do it anymore. Want to suicide your Rifter 20 times a day - same drill. Whats not to like. Just don't be a dick :P

#19 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:08 AM

Missed out on this last week, didnt do one yesterday due to "omg sunshine"

Will get one out later this week instead, so guys keep giving me input here please.

Many of you new guys have now been here a month...

#20 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Friend of RvB
  • 11330 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Also RvB vets and command do not be afraid to write words here too, would be nice to get your viewpoints after all ;)

Dont just read this topic and shirk away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users