Photo

Ship Fitting Guide (AKA: What to Fly and How to Fit it?)

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Administrators
  • 11372 posts
Lieutenant  Member Reputation
  • LocationPreston, Blighty
  • Favorite Ship:Republic Fleet Firetail
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:07 PM

I take it you mean you just want this thread tidied.

If so when its done, I will wander back through and delete everything that isnt an Andal post (much like I have done with the central repository of fittings thread). Given I think we have too many sections on the forums overall (and its something I shall rectify during the second week of my upcoming vacation time), I would be loathe to make yet another section. Especially when, with a little work (from all of us), this whole piloting section will be close to fully functionally.

#22 Andal Altol

Andal Altol

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Maller
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 20 June 2014 - 03:22 PM

I take it you mean you just want this thread tidied.

If so when its done, I will wander back through and delete everything that isnt an Andal post (much like I have done with the central repository of fittings thread). Given I think we have too many sections on the forums overall (and its something I shall rectify during the second week of my upcoming vacation time), I would be loathe to make yet another section. Especially when, with a little work (from all of us), this whole piloting section will be close to fully functionally.

I agree. I don't think the guide needs a sub-forum. I've done my best to reserve enough posts at the beginning of the thread for the guide itself. If there ends up being non-Ship/Pilot content, then we could branch out into another thread, but for now I think the current format will be fine. Plus I'll likely take another few weeks to finish up - I've got a lot of travelling to do and also a house move coming up. On the other hand, I also have Two or three weeks off of work...

Anyway, any other suggestions regarding content? I'll get some more work done this evening, while I'm still trapped away from PvP in EVE without my mouse. :/

#23 Korrey

Korrey

Thrasher

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Absolution

Posted 20 June 2014 - 04:20 PM

I can confirm NeoCom is the best app in the universe for iPhone users (or any users really).

You can fit ships and check numbers to your hearts content

View market items and prices/details

Create skillplans etc

All kinds of crazy stuff. Keeps me sane at work.

#24 Andal Altol

Andal Altol

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Recruit

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:12 PM

Added a New Section on external tools. Please comment and suggest any I've missed out - in particular some links to other guides etc. I'll be back to add more after dinner. :)

#25 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Administrators
  • 11372 posts

Posted 20 June 2014 - 06:40 PM

For FHC, dont link to the front end, link straight to ships and fittings.  Add a codicil that many fits on FHC rely on drugs/links/high SP, but still work as an aim, or if you tweak for your own SP/pocket book and so on.

#26 Andal Altol

Andal Altol

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Recruit

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:26 PM

For FHC, dont link to the front end, link straight to ships and fittings.  Add a codicil that many fits on FHC rely on drugs/links/high SP, but still work as an aim, or if you tweak for your own SP/pocket book and so on.

Linked to and amended. I was hoping to do more than just the external links today, but I had a little too much to drink earlier, and thought it might not help my writing. ;)

#27 Andal Altol

Andal Altol

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Recruit

Posted 22 June 2014 - 08:17 PM

I've updated Ship Roles with a very basic outline of what I plan on including. I am not sure quite how to format it - it doesn't feel right at the moment. If nobody has any suggestions on formatting, I'll expand it as it is for now, and maybe change it later.

Can anybody think of things I've missed out, or anything I've managed to get wrong? I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting something.

#28 Miner's Bane

Miner's Bane

Rupture

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Tristan
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 23 June 2014 - 02:28 AM

Added a New Section on external tools. Please comment and suggest any I've missed out - in particular some links to other guides etc. I'll be back to add more after dinner. :)

I use EVE Droid because it's the only decent EVE app that works on my Kindle Fire.

#29 ringusworm

ringusworm

Vagabond

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts
  • LocationBaconsville, Bacon Street
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin made from Bacon

Posted 23 June 2014 - 03:39 AM

Great read.
I cannot see "Fleet up.com" referenced though.

Anchovies are Bacon of the sea

ringusworm.png

Bacon will save the world or destroy it

#30 Andal Altol

Andal Altol

Rifter

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 41 posts
Recruit

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:19 AM

I use EVE Droid because it's the only decent EVE app that works on my Kindle Fire.

Great read.
I cannot see "Fleet up.com" referenced though.

Anchovies are Bacon of the sea

I've added EVE Droid - I have no personal experience with it, but have heard good things about it on Reddit etc. Hopefully you agree with the fitting comment vs. Aura?

I'll add Fleet up.com properly later - I thought it might be worth dedicating a section to our own resources, since we're slowly adding them. Until then, I've split up the post into more sub-categories, ready for the addition.

Edit:

For anybody else reading, I would really appreciate a formating/style critique of post #3 - Ship Roles: http://rvbeve.com/fo...it/#entry125712

I don't feel happy with the format, and so am considering changing it up a little. Perhaps including a sub-section on important skills, attributes and ships commonly used in each roles?

E.g:
  • Sniper
    Role Synopsis: <Text, aim for 1-2 paragraphs. Alternately, a spoiler tag containing more details would be an option, and would add natural end-of-section visual cues.>
    Important Skills: <Top 5 Skills, excluding pre-requisites. Possibly also training time. Most likely in comma-separated list to prevent unnecessary post length increases, but I will experiment and see. Could be this also benefits from spoiler tags. If so, consider "spoilering" each entry for consistency.>
    Most-Used Modules: <E.g. range/targetting distance increasers etc. Probably a paragraph or two on why in total. I was thinking 2 modules per low/med/high +1 module option in the most important slot (so 3/2/2 for damage dealing, 2/3/2 for EWar etc). That way fitting is covered in some depth without requiring an essay.>
    Best Weapon/Ammunition Types: <Each of the long-ranged weapon/ammunition combinations. Probably some text on why it works well>
    Commonly Used Ships: <e.g. Ships by race/class, or possibly just an assortment of "Best in class" - depending on how long each entry gets>

Double Edit:

I'm also considering adding a Table of Contents at the top of each post, to make its contents easier to read/understand without having to skip through looking for headings. From the posts already written, do others also feel it would be useful?

This guide is designed to be skimmed over until you find the relevant information, so imho, the more you can easily skip, the better.

#31 Miner's Bane

Miner's Bane

Rupture

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Tristan

Posted 24 June 2014 - 03:17 AM

I've added EVE Droid - I have no personal experience with it, but have heard good things about it on Reddit etc. Hopefully you agree with the fitting comment vs. Aura?

Couldn't say, Aura isn't available from the amazon app store, and I'm too lazy to crossload it on. 

#32 Xavier Stokken

Xavier Stokken

Velator

• Friend of RvB
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Merlin

Posted 10 September 2014 - 08:59 AM

An online replacement for EVEmon: EVE-Skillplan.

It can import/export EVEmon skillplans via XML and it works on mobile devices too. I especially like the ship progress function, kind of ISIS on the web.

#33 Mangala Solaris

Mangala Solaris

The Gankfather

• Administrators
  • 11372 posts

Posted 10 September 2014 - 12:17 PM

An online replacement for EVEmon: EVE-Skillplan.

It can import/export EVEmon skillplans via XML and it works on mobile devices too. I especially like the ship progress function, kind of ISIS on the web.

Created by an RvBer too:

http://rvbeve.com/fo...or-eve-online/ 

:D

(Will add to the OP).

#34 Elias Mayaki

Elias Mayaki

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 2 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Punisher

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:00 PM

Thank you very much! This was really useful to help understand the basics and was very clearly laid out :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users