Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 661 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:maulus
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 20 December 2017 - 01:40 PM

so anyone want to do a FOB RvB fleet and maybe not die?

THIS IS EVE ONLINE!! = https://i.imgur.com/jj16ThL.jpg

Chess is the perfect Metaphor for Life: There are many clearly bad Moves but so FEW clearly good ones..

You don't like that people can use Expensive implants and ships or don't want to learn the counters? Ok, that's fine, bye. This IS EVE ONLINE.

#2 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 528 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Stealth Bomber

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:13 PM

Yes I definitely want to run one, but the 'not die' part is going to be an issue... 

I was very interested in these things initially. It was advertised as incursions-lite, doable in small 10-man fleets. However from everything I've read and experienced, they are actually significantly harder than incursion sites unless you cheese them via very specific methods (that may or may not have been patched by now, I haven't looked into it anymore).

Basically the amount and type of rats that spawn is based on the ships that you bring to the FOB grid. If you bring battleships and T3s, they will warp in ravens and gilas. If you bring T1 cruisers, they will mostly bring caracals and kestrels. In typical Eve fashion they will not bring a 1:1 ratio of ships but they will outnumber you by as much as 2:1, though that ratio seems to vary wildly and is still poorly understood. The pirate ships themselves are more or less equivalent to player fit ships, damage and tank-wise. Only exception is that they deal rat specific damage and have a rat specific hole in their tank (so thermal for Guristas). Oh and Guristas jam and neut, so there's more fun for ya.

Now, they can be tanked and destroyed with moderate difficulty, but the problem is that these ships just keep respawning until the end of time which is why FOB's are horseshit and no one runs them seriously. It has led to people resorting to the aforementioned cheese tactics. (orbiting the thing in cerbs at 3km/s over 200km away, dodging the pirate fleet and just grinding the FOB structure for example).

So the question is, do you want to cheese it and (probably) win, or do you want to bring a proper fleet and probably die in a fire?

#3 Nicose

Nicose

Sabre

• Executive Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
Recruit
  • LocationGloucestershire
  • Favorite Ship:Can you fit a blaster on it??
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:24 PM

What is this FOB?

#4 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 02:27 PM

Forward Operating Base.

Pirate mini-citadels in highsec that spawn the new 'smart' NPCs. Need to be probed down and then grinded for 30mins (assuming damage cap) like an Astrahaus.

#5 Nikolai Mazinkov

Nikolai Mazinkov

Pewasaurus Rex

• Administrators
  • 1388 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationTEXAS
  • Favorite Ship:Mobile Blaster Unit

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:27 PM

a couple things, 

I have looked into it, there is a fob hunting channel and some dedicated scouts, which is the big change that just happened, they are supposed to be easier to find now.

If you drone em, they are easier, and with logi you can drill down some DPS then AFK (except logi) if you have lasers and or drones, 

from what ive seen i recommend armor Cruiser or BS/BS plus logi, 

some ppl use nestors. 

Im game for a run at it

"Remember That You Must Die"
RvB Bannersmall

#6 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:58 PM

There's one in Otela right now :P. Jag and I probed it down.

They're not particularly hard to find because no one runs them and they pile up. Not sure if they disappear on their own eventually.

I've been to that channel if you're talking about The Defense Network. I think that community died before they even ran a single site succesfully? No ideas for fits, no planned fleets scheduled, no mentions of past successes and it's been two months since FOBs are in the game. The only useful thing there is a link to a google doc with known FOB locations (dunno if it's even still being updated).

As for fits I think that everyone in logi but with damage drones could work nicely (or RR vexors/VNIs). Guns in the high slots seem to spawn a bigger pirate wave than droneboats.

A single VNI has killed an FOB so we can try whenever really.

#7 Nikolai Mazinkov

Nikolai Mazinkov

Pewasaurus Rex

• Administrators
  • 1388 posts
  • LocationTEXAS
  • Favorite Ship:Mobile Blaster Unit

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:05 PM

yeah the scale seems to increase with guns more than drones, someone is doin ght emath on the response fleets, as in x cuiser, x bc = what NPC response.

there is a second channel up as well, "FOB Hunt" not great but alive yeah the VNI solo gives you no real payout, just loot, they fixed that, but you can set drones then burn to 250km away

"Remember That You Must Die"
RvB Bannersmall

#8 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 09:57 PM

[Exequror, Exequror FOB]

Reactive Armor Hardener
Damage Control II
800mm Steel Plates II
Armor Kinetic Hardener II

Medium Compact Pb-Acid Cap Battery
10MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Cap Recharger II

Medium I-ax Enduring Remote Armor Repairer

Medium Capacitor Control Circuit I

Could use Vespas for about 150 dps. Every bit helps (and this gets logi on the killmail, yay). I don't think logi drones will matter much if the RR don't hold. But they should because...

96% resistance after the RAH has reached its full potential. 180 armor repped per second (at a whopping 95%+ resists that means over 3500 dps repped). Enough cap stability to keep hardeners running under FOB neuts. Hopefully.

I would suggest at least 2/3rd of the fleet be in logis for the first attempt because Guristas are dicks and they jam. A few unlucky jam cycles could wipe the fleet if we only have a couple. Also no idea how much these FOBs  neut.

As for DPS, only one T1 cruiser worth using really

[Vexor, Vexor FOB]

Reactive Armor Hardener
Drone Damage Amplifier II
Drone Damage Amplifier II

10MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner

Medium 'Regard' Remote Capacitor Transmitter
Medium 'Regard' Remote Capacitor Transmitter

Medium Anti-Kinetic Pump II

Wasp II x2
Vespa II x2
Hornet II x1

95% resistance after RAH has reached its peak. 420-ish drone DPS.

You'll want to snuggle up with another vexor buddy so you can perma-rep/cap eachother with your highslots (about 70rep/s at 95% kinetic resistance means 1400 damage constantly tanked, capstable).

I'm not entirely happy with this fit because it has zero buffer, though the permanent repping aspect should somewhat counter the problem. Could drop a DDA for a 800 plate. Drops dps to around 350 and should still fit.

#9 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 01:24 AM

Tested two of the above exeq fits with Jagtor. We fought 5 guristas Kestrels near a vulnerable Sotiyo that they were attacking (yes they do that, apparantly). This was away from the FOB grid so no neuts, jams etc.

First encounter

They shot my drones while I was anchored on the Sotiyo and invulnerable. So yes, these assholes can in fact shoot drones.

Then once I locked them and broke tether, I almost got wrecked. I'm dumb and fit thermal hardeners instead of kinetic because reading PvE damage profiles is complicated. Fixed the above fit to the correct damage profile (kinetic instead of thermal).

I bravely docked at the sotiyo and refit to 3 kinetic armor hardeners.

Second encounter

Broke tether before launching drones. This time they shot at me and Jagtor exclusively without shooting at our drones. Maybe they only target drones if there's nothing else to shoot at?

As for our tank, it was perfect. One of the medium remote reps could very easily tank the dps of 5 kestrels (96.5% resists lmao, and we didn't even have links). Can now confirm the Kestrels do indeed deal 100% kinetic damage (Reactive Armor Hardener never moved from 60% kinetic resists). I've heard from other sources that the Caracals, Gilas, Ravens, Rattlesnakes also only shoot kinetic missiles so let's assume this stays true and then it probably won't be true and we'll all die in a fire.

Another thing worth noting is that Jagtor warped in a thorax with a lighter tank, after the Kestrels had already agressed on the exeqs and they never switched aggro to the Thorax despite the small fact that it was melting their face. It's possible they consider logi the highest priority and won't shoot anything else until it's dead, or maybe they are really dumb and just shoot the first thing that agresses them (in the latter case I have some fun things in mind).

At any rate, it seems tanking for pure kinetic works and these fits work. Still need to see if it works under FOB neut pressure and Jams though.

I'd like to get 10 nerds together, 6 in the exeqs and 4 in the vexors and take it to the FOB grid for some funsies.

#10 nitro oxide

nitro oxide

Raven

• CEO
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1007 posts
  • LocationBonny Scotland
  • Favorite Ship:hound
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:09 AM

Will happily run one when I’m back 👍

#11 C11H17NO3

C11H17NO3

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 661 posts
Recruit

Posted 22 December 2017 - 03:49 PM

ive seen a few kms of high sec fobs being done with three rattlesnakes 

now how those rattlesnakes are fit and if they were getting logi is unknown

but jag and or metal and i are pretty sure they were fully tech 2 fit pure passive, ogre II's and nothing in high slots

now if you wanna try a 10 man fleet i recommend 5 vexors, nothing in high slot, all armor mods in low, 3 trimarks, 2 ogres 2 hammer heads 1 hob and 5 augor's with cap chain.

Ive read a few articles that say or believe the response fleet is keyed to grow with each weapon in a high slot, thus drones only and nothing in high.

though the dps of 5 vexors and 40 drones from 5 augs may not be enough dps to kill it in under 40 mins, therefore 20 mil per fleet member may not be worth it

Chess is the perfect Metaphor for Life: There are many clearly bad Moves but so FEW clearly good ones..

You don't like that people can use Expensive implants and ships or don't want to learn the counters? Ok, that's fine, bye. This IS EVE ONLINE.

#12 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 07:14 PM

Guristas are weak to kinetic so you should use caldari drones. Of course if you're only grinding the FOB and ignore their fleet I don't think damage type matters. Might still wanna kill the jammers when they show up/respawn though.

5 vexors and 5 logi would be something like 2500 dps. If it's got astrahus mechanics that would be about half of the damage cap so it would take an hour.

#13 C11H17NO3

C11H17NO3

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 661 posts
Recruit

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:04 PM

yea i dunnue now, apparently ccp fixed the bug for the high slot modification of ship response it no longer works, so everything unknown, fleet welp imminent. 

#14 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 08:29 PM

Did hundreds of jumps on the test server, couldn't find a single FOB. I'm a little mad.

No testing for now.

#15 C11H17NO3

C11H17NO3

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 661 posts
Recruit

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:20 PM

sorry.. ccp best trolls ever??

#16 scummyb

scummyb

Typhoon Fleet Issue

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2012 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Favorite Ship:ARMAGEDDON

Posted 25 December 2017 - 05:52 PM

https://zkillboard.com/ship/46363/
Was in convo with the first legion guys that have been popping these FOBs in short order with vindis a Mach and Nestors - complete fob within 15 mins. Of note is they haven’t killed one since 17 December. Didn’t ask about that as only noticed afterwards.
Did manage to sucker a cyclone into warping to me when speed tanking the site - no shiny loot from his wreck tho.
The fob can web and neut out to 299.9km which scuppered my speed tanking Cerberus orbiting at 294km

#17 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Vagabond

• Tournament Member
  • 528 posts

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

I still say we try this with about 10 people, 5-6 in T1 logi and the rest in vexors. It'll be rather slow and take about an hour because DPS isn't great, but If we fail we each lose about 20mil after insurance. If it works we can start considering more people or bigger stuff.

I'm not throwing pirate battleships at this thing if we don't know what we're up against. CCP seems to have disabled FOB spawn on the test server completely. Either these things will be removed in the next patch (would be weird because CCP leaves broken stuff ingame all the time) or they don't want people experimenting and finding ways to cheese them without risk.

#18 nitro oxide

nitro oxide

Raven

• CEO
  • 1007 posts
  • LocationBonny Scotland

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

Happily run when I get back 👍 if anything for fc training and logi training it will be the closest thing you will get to the real thing I think.

#19 nitro oxide

nitro oxide

Raven

• CEO
  • 1007 posts
  • LocationBonny Scotland

Posted 25 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

Happily run when I get back 👍 if anything for fc training and logi training it will be the closest thing you will get to the real thing I think.

#20 C11H17NO3

C11H17NO3

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • 661 posts
Recruit

Posted 26 December 2017 - 01:56 AM

Yea I can try to fit up some free logi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users