Rifter

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Federation Navy Comet
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:29 AM

The purpose of this event is to expose our newbros (although everyone is welcome!) to various PvP mechanics all at once in a team-based, objective-gaming environment.

How it Works:

Two teams of DPS frigates in the Gnostic Defenders Arena in Otela. Each team has an FC in a support Gnosis that each orbit a mobile depot at 10-20 km (depending on field size). FCs are not allowed to break this orbit.

The purpose of the event is to destroy the other team's FC by any means necessary.

The Frigates:

The frigate fits are designed specifically to be very accessible to Newbros (minimal fitting skills necessary) and to fit the archetypes of PvP combat. They are also (I think) fairly well balanced against each other. The general types are as follows:

Kite/Anti-Kite:

Fast frigates with MWDs and either long-range (kite) or short-range (anti-kite) weapons. Damage is low (kiters) to moderate-high (anti-kite). Great for harassing enemies, drawing them out of position, and creating a warp-in point for the rest of your team. Some of these will have utility mid slots that are used for EWAR (e.g. defensive scram, defensive web)

Brawl/Scramkite:

AB frigates with Scram/Web. Generally high damage. They will need their teammates to provide warp-in points to get to various areas of the battlefield, but have some staying power and high DPS to control the area once they're there.

Tanks:

Ultra-tanky AB frigates that generally fit high EHP builds or dual-rep active tank builds. Damage is moderate. These have by far the most staying power and will be able to maintain warp-in points established by the kiters/anti-kiters and spearhead short-range offensives.

If you are exploded, you will have to reship at the POS in Josameto (bookmarked) - adding a sort of natural "respawn time" to the event. Each team will get a limited number of reships - once your team has hit its limit, you get no more (and will probably-but not necessarily- lose).

The Gnoses:

These are EWAR-fit piloted by the FCs. As EWAR, they are a powerful force multiplier in fights within their effective range but are useless on their own. This role is geared more towards the players who have some PvP experience and want to dip their toes in FCing. It gives them a chance to practice their ability to give commands and execute a plan, while taking away the stress of flying a ship simultaneously.

There are 4 Gnoses fits, 1 for each EWAR type, for the FC to pick from. In order to encourage speedy matches, they are buffer fit rather than active tank. However, they will each have one hull repper (purposely inefficient) to regain some EHP when they're not under attack.

If a Gnosis goes down, that Gnosis' team will not be able to reship anymore. Their current ships on grid are welcome to try a "last stand" and take out the enemy Gnosis before dying!

The Referee:

The ref will be in a Dominix stocking Wardens (because that's the only BS I have on hand lol). They will keep track of how many ships have been lost on either side and give each side appropriate warnings when they are running low. They will Alpha anyone who is breaking the rules!

If the match has not been decided in 20 minutes, the Dominix will open fire on both teams' FCs to speed things up.

The Rules:

They mainly have to do with where you can and can't warp:

1. You may warp to any bookmark in the Arena except for the enemy team's (e.g. as Team A, no warping to any BMs with Team B in the name)

2. You may not warp to wrecks. This is to establish the necessity of providing good warpins. The wrecks will be cleaned up by MTUs on the peripheries of the field.

3. Whenever you enter the Arena, you must warp in to your team's ground 0 (the mobile depot, where the FC is orbiting).

4. Once in the Arena, you may not warp off grid. Doing so will count as -1 reship for your team. Bouncing around the grid is fine e.g. you can warp back to your FC if you need reps.

Also,

4: You may only engage enemies within the Arena (no fighting on the POS).

The Prizes:

There will be prizes for Newbro FCs! For the event Sept 16th, the prizes are:

1st Prize (Winning FC) - Dark Blood Adaptive plates + Agency booster III

2nd Prize (Losing FC) - Dark Blood Adaptive plate

3rd Prize (First blood) - Thorax

Special Prize (Man of the match) - Dark Blood EANM

FAQ:

1. Can I bring my own fit?

1A. Since this event is meant to emphasize mechanics while being newbro friendly, all the fits will be provided by RvB. These fits are designed to be balanced against each other while giving players a variety of play styles.

2. Why no DPS Gnoses?

2A. I want the FC role to be a strong force multiplier but also reliant on their team to win. DPS Gnoses could conceivably just win a fight against frigates by themselves. It also exposes people to fighting with/against EWAR/Logi, which I think is a good thing.

#2 Bobert Raratheon

Bobert Raratheon

Rifter

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Recruit

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:33 AM

Sample Fits - Tanks

Buffer Tank

[Punisher, Tank - Dual Plate - Noobfleet]
Damage Control I
'Refuge' Adaptive Nano Plating I
400mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates
400mm Rolled Tungsten Compact Plates

1MN Y-S8 Compact Afterburner
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler

75mm 'Scout' Accelerator Cannon

Small Trimark Armor Pump I

Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S x1600
Caldari Navy Iridium Charge S x800

Dual-Rep

[Incursus, Brawl - DualRep - Noobfleet]
Small Inefficient Armor Repair Unit
Damage Control I
Small Inefficient Armor Repair Unit

1MN Monopropellant Enduring Afterburner
Small Electrochemical Capacitor Booster I
Faint Epsilon Scoped Warp Scrambler

Limited Light Ion Blaster I

Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Auxiliary Nano Pump I
Small Nanobot Accelerator I

Warrior I x1

Caldari Navy Antimatter Charge S x480
Caldari Navy Iridium Charge S x480
Navy Cap Booster 400 x13

#3 Nikolai Mazinkov

Nikolai Mazinkov

Pewasaurus Rex

• CEO
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationTEXAS
  • Favorite Ship:Mobile Blaster Unit

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:00 AM

this sounds like a mix between one of Nicose's ideas for FC club mixed with mothership monday, if you care to peek into those formats.

I love the idea and can give you some tips as well as the hulls and ISK to get this for nooblfeet.

My suggestions:

-Do math on the max DPS of your fits, and make sure the cruiser is feasible for the FC as far as tank goes vs the numbers you see on field so it doesn't take 20 mins but doesnt end in 2 mins either, which might happen with the EWAR hulls. If you need to bump to BC, i suggest the Gnosis, you can tank and sebo it,  and every race of Alpha can fly it. Else i would go with Maller, Vexor, or Exequror, something like that. You can still use them as a no-gun with remote reps or neuts or something if you think that is viable.

-the range of the FC cruisers for locking. They will likely need sensor boosters if you plan on the large grids, also lends itself to the exeq, vexor, etc as FC hulls. For mothership monday we would use 150km Grid. 100-150 is good because there is no easy warp-to and the locking range is solvable without DPS being easy to project across the whole field.

-All hulls we probably already have and are on their way to you. Mods we will provide ISK or mods for, if too expensive we often drop rigs on our Alpha frigs, which are often free or FFA ships

"Remember That You Must Die"
RvB Bannersmall

#4 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Drake

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Stealth Bomber

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

I love the idea but I see some issues.

The mothership is a cruiser and your proposed frigate fits use afterburners. I don't see why the battlefield has to be that large. Will we have access to the opposing side's bookmark? Because if not, at least one person will have to burn 100+ km at AB speeds every time you want to attack.

Also, if you have a field that big and force the FC to anchor on a specific point, the FCs ship will be effectively worthless to contribute on anything but defense (maybe that's intentional?)

They will probably also have a hard time to actually FC things if they're that far removed from fights.

I'm not sure that the FCs should be allowed to use logi cruisers in this specific format. In addition to the above, It would even more favor a defensive type of play because one side will have strong reps against the other side's low-ish incoming dps. And the attacking side won't have support because their mothership has to stay at the anchoring point and reps/most ewar won't reach that far.

so tl;dr I think either the grids are way too big for frigate fights with a cruiser mothership, or the cruiser mothership should be allowed to move around

#5 Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Coercer
  • Race:Amarr

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:10 PM

So are any friggies allowed? or do we have to use one of the sample ones

#6 Guest_Darrion Kale_*

Guest_Darrion Kale_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:11 AM

I think this is a great idea.

would recommend sticking with the supplied ship/fits, and as such would be willing to donate 100 mil isk to bolster up the ship count/player count

#7 Bobert Raratheon

Bobert Raratheon

Rifter

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Recruit

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:23 AM

Great points guys, thanks for the feedback!

this sounds like a mix between one of Nicose's ideas for FC club mixed with mothership monday, if you care to peek into those formats.

I love the idea and can give you some tips as well as the hulls and ISK to get this for nooblfeet.

My suggestions:

-Do math on the max DPS of your fits, and make sure the cruiser is feasible for the FC as far as tank goes vs the numbers you see on field so it doesn't take 20 mins but doesnt end in 2 mins either, which might happen with the EWAR hulls. If you need to bump to BC, i suggest the Gnosis, you can tank and sebo it,  and every race of Alpha can fly it. Else i would go with Maller, Vexor, or Exequror, something like that. You can still use them as a no-gun with remote reps or neuts or something if you think that is viable.

-the range of the FC cruisers for locking. They will likely need sensor boosters if you plan on the large grids, also lends itself to the exeq, vexor, etc as FC hulls. For mothership monday we would use 150km Grid. 100-150 is good because there is no easy warp-to and the locking range is solvable without DPS being easy to project across the whole field.

-All hulls we probably already have and are on their way to you. Mods we will provide ISK or mods for, if too expensive we often drop rigs on our Alpha frigs, which are often free or FFA ships

Love love love the idea of using Gnoses. I was having trouble fitting out appropriate Amarr/Minmatar FC ships as they don't really have a great EWAR cruiser option. Using Gnoses gives us the chance to use all types of EWAR as well as a nice big buffer tank and consistency across FC stats (they'll all have the same lock range, EHP, etc.). if RvB is happy to supply them, I'm happy to use them.

Agree with your point about Sebos.

I love the idea but I see some issues.

The mothership is a cruiser and your proposed frigate fits use afterburners. I don't see why the battlefield has to be that large. Will we have access to the opposing side's bookmark? Because if not, at least one person will have to burn 100+ km at AB speeds every time you want to attack.

Also, if you have a field that big and force the FC to anchor on a specific point, the FCs ship will be effectively worthless to contribute on anything but defense (maybe that's intentional?)

They will probably also have a hard time to actually FC things if they're that far removed from fights.

I'm not sure that the FCs should be allowed to use logi cruisers in this specific format. In addition to the above, It would even more favor a defensive type of play because one side will have strong reps against the other side's low-ish incoming dps. And the attacking side won't have support because their mothership has to stay at the anchoring point and reps/most ewar won't reach that far.

so tl;dr I think either the grids are way too big for frigate fights with a cruiser mothership, or the cruiser mothership should be allowed to move around

The frigate fits are a mix of MWDs and ABs - the kite/anti-kite fits are built light with MWDs while the tanks/brawlers/scramkiters are built heavy with ABs. I'm envisioning the MWD ships closing into enemy territory and providing warp-in points for their heavier, AB allies - kind of like forward bases, in a way. Establishing and maintaining these warp-in points is important in order to keep the initiative for your team. This is also the reason for the large field size - anything smaller than 150 km means no bouncing around the battlefield. I suppose you could still bounce off the battlefield and back to your forward scout - it just adds an extra step for no real reason, I think.

The FCs not being able to contribute to offence is intentional, for a number of reasons:

1. If an FC is under any significant attack, it's typically because 1 or more of their frigates is off the battlefield - either dead, or repping. If they're also under attack by an FC-supported frigate fleet, it's a pretty heavy disadvantage to fight against and the match runs the risk of always being decided by one single fight as opposed to an accumulation of multiple skirmishes.

2. The FCs are there to support and enhance the frigate vs. frigate fights. I feel it would be better If they weren't directly able to influence each other (landing even a single jam on an enemy FC would be pretty much catastrophic for them, for example)

3. I don't think FCing at a distance should be too tough. Zooming out to max distance lets you comfortable see out to >200 km, and you can use the Look At function to centre your camera on one of your frigates if necessary.

Completely agree with your point about logi cruiser. I tried to think of a few ways to make it work, but they all ended up with at least one team turtling hard. Unless I or someone else can figure out a way to make them work, I do think we should exclude logi.

So are any friggies allowed? or do we have to use one of the sample ones

For the purposes of the event, specific frigate fits will be provided to participants for free (actually better than free since you get the insurance from when your ship dies!). I'd rather not open it up to "Bring-your-own-frigate" simply for balance purposes (I don't really want to see a Garmur flying around popping everything, for example).

#8 Rose Valora

Rose Valora

Drake

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • Favorite Ship:Stealth Bomber

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

Yeah I see better now where you're going with this.

As for logi, perhaps allow reps but do not allow logi hulls. It will heavily reduce their effectiveness but you'll still be able to rep up your frigates after a skirmish.

#9 Bobert Raratheon

Bobert Raratheon

Rifter

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Recruit

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:55 AM

Yeah I see better now where you're going with this.

As for logi, perhaps allow reps but do not allow logi hulls. It will heavily reduce their effectiveness but you'll still be able to rep up your frigates after a skirmish.

I had the same idea last night! It actually works great. I'll fit the FCs with remote armor/shield/hull/cap reps.

#10 Nicose

Nicose

Vengeance

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62 posts
Recruit
  • LocationGloucestershire
  • Favorite Ship:Can you fit a blaster on it??
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:35 AM

This idea is officially supported by Nicose.......even better than a POTUS endorsement :)

#11 Raelyn Varkis

Raelyn Varkis

Shuttle

• RvB Member
  • 2 posts
Recruit
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:10 PM

Newbro here - sounds awesome - I'm in.  Is event time 20:00 GMT? What timezone do most of RvB play in?

#12 Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Recruit

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

For the purposes of the event, specific frigate fits will be provided to participants for free (actually better than free since you get the insurance from when your ship dies!). I'd rather not open it up to "Bring-your-own-frigate" simply for balance purposes (I don't really want to see a Garmur flying around popping everything, for example).

Fair point, although as a fairly new player myself I find it useful to experiment with fits that I've made and see what works and what doesn't work.

Maybe could limit it to tech 1 ships and no bling modules so that people don't bring overpowered things?

#13 nitro oxide

nitro oxide

Astarte

• CEO
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationBonny Scotland
  • Favorite Ship:hound

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:57 PM

Bob where are you? I need to get your stuff for the event etc send me a pm asap

Cheers nitro

#14 Metal Jack

Metal Jack

Bantam

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Recruit
  • LocationCocaine Capital, USA.
  • Favorite Ship:Anything With HG Implants =)

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:12 PM

Looks good Bobert, lets make this a fun event! If you need any help setting anything up let me know o7

#15 Bobert Raratheon

Bobert Raratheon

Rifter

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Recruit

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

For anyone who wants to FC, please bear in mind the the FC ships have EWAR, remote cap/shield/armor/hull reppers and light rep drones. Please be sure you have at least level 1 in the relevant skills if you want to FC! They're a relatively short train, I think you can do all of them in <24hr.

Example fit:

[Gnosis, DOTG - SD - Noobfleet]
Damage Control I
Mark I Compact Reinforced Bulkheads
Mark I Compact Reinforced Bulkheads
Photonic Upgraded Co-Processor
F-89 Compact Signal Amplifier
F-89 Compact Signal Amplifier

F-90 Compact Sensor Booster
Medium I-b Polarized Structural Regenerator
Phased Muon Scoped Sensor Dampener

Medium Coaxial Compact Remote Armor Repairer
Medium Coaxial Compact Remote Armor Repairer
Medium Murky Compact Remote Shield Booster
Medium Murky Compact Remote Shield Booster
Medium Remote Hull Repairer I
Medium 'Regard' Remote Capacitor Transmitter

Medium Transverse Bulkhead I

Light Hull Maintenance Bot I x5
Light Armor Maintenance Bot I x5
Light Shield Maintenance Bot I x5

Targeting Range Script x1
Scan Resolution Script x1
Nanite Repair Paste x200
Scan Resolution Dampening Script x4
Targeting Range Dampening Script x4

#16 Nikolai Mazinkov

Nikolai Mazinkov

Pewasaurus Rex

• CEO
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1065 posts
  • LocationTEXAS
  • Favorite Ship:Mobile Blaster Unit

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:34 PM

@raelyn mostly 1930-2200 or 01-0200

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
"Remember That You Must Die"
RvB Bannersmall

#17 Bobert Raratheon

Bobert Raratheon

Rifter

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Recruit

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

The Arena has been created! Check out "Gnostic Defence Arena" under corp bookmarks :)

Nik and Metal, I will send you both the bookmarks so that blues can get them too

#18 Hooligan Anstian

Hooligan Anstian

Inquisitor

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
Recruit
  • LocationSwitzerland
  • Favorite Ship:Slasher

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

The event was superb. there is just one little thing we need to improve:

The rules currently discourage fighting any frigates. basically when you attack anything else than the gnosis you lose.

you have so many interesting fits in this fleet that encourage teamwork, but right now its just get the highest dps ships and attack the gnosis.

with some logistic frigs or with a rule that changes the timewindow when you can attack the gnosis or if you were not allowed to reship the event would become much more tactical.

#19 Bobert Raratheon

Bobert Raratheon

Rifter

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 45 posts
Recruit

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:49 AM

The rules currently discourage fighting any frigates. basically when you attack anything else than the gnosis you lose.

you have so many interesting fits in this fleet that encourage teamwork, but right now its just get the highest dps ships and attack the gnosis.

with some logistic frigs or with a rule that changes the timewindow when you can attack the gnosis or if you were not allowed to reship the event would become much more tactical.

I actually agree! The initial plan was to leave the reships in RHQ so that people would have to wait out their aggression timer before reshipping, but we didn't realize that wouldn't work since Blues can't access the Red corp hangar. The Bowheads were a last-minute solution.

We can experiment with where we leave the Bowheads so that people would take longer to reship when they die - either somewhere else within Otela, or maybe even in Josameto.

#20 Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Taylor Moon Mahyisti

Bantam

• RvB Member
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Recruit

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:25 PM

I disagree tbh in the last round blue tried to bumrush our gnosis and we (barely) fought them off and then went to kill their gnosis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users