Photo

Tldr votes for snakes or slaves? Implant ideas for solo frigate fighting in RvB and novice plex faction warfare

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Balarat

Balarat

Inquisitor

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
Recruit
  • LocationBranford, Connecticut
  • Favorite Ship:A Recently Exploded One
  • Race:Minmatar

Posted 15 June 2017 - 02:24 PM

Tldr votes for snakes or slaves? implants ideas for t1 frigate solo fights in RvB and lowsec novice plexes, and other things RvB.

Great Wall of text: To implant or not to implant, that is the question, whether tis nobler to pod express or gleefully out tank and dps your foe. So I've been blowing up a lot of t1 frigate hulls recently, mostly my own, but haven't lost a pod in a few weeks, woohoo! so it's time to think about buying some implants!!! I'm still fairly new at solo pvp (only 8 kills ever in 7 years and probably quadruple that losses) ) but will be super careful with them, not take them to null, or smart bombing Norv gate tama camps, or try to dock in jita with a suspect timer! I've done all those already and learned the hard way, Lol. I have so much fun playing eve these days I don't mind investing some iskies, especially if it will yield a reward pvp wise, and like staying in my t1 frigs to keep the "scare" factor down so my 1v1's don't warp away from my scary comet lol. So my go to ships these days are tormentor, Tristan, atron, and am learning kitey missiles long point mwd breacher next, and possibly speed tank brawler slasher (thanks to dacness!). I have Amarr and gallantry frig v (materi and Gallente iv), all t2 skills, am omega, luving the Tristan drone kite at the moment. (When I am able to fleet up for lowsec roams I usually fly a comet, caracal, or talwar, to add dps.)

Context of question is likely due to so much banter on coms "how did you get that much dps/tank from that fit" and helpful hints from metal jack, zen tsai, rivisa, dacness and others about their "SHLAVE" sets (followed by maniacle laughter) vs snakes and others and their advantages, "strapping a cruiser to my battleship in extra dps" etc, ...and then ironically days later I hear sons of sorrow when losing a bling pod to a smart bomb or sebo fit camp off gate/station, lol.

Cheers to all and thanks for all the help thus far RvB!!!

-balarat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Snurg

Snurg

Inquisitor

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:Vagabond

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:18 PM

In before W0lfy rants about his hi-grade snakes being fair but anybody else with implants is a dirty cheater and haz no e-honor (trust me it's a comin'), possibly followed by an angry Dutch guy calling all imp sets the work of Satan, except his hi-grade Geno's which are of course purity & enlightenment.

In my opinion (neither humble or wanted usually) they are all just extant game mechanics, get used to it / emo-rage-quit. Both are equally valid responses in a sandbox game.

Which is best? You WILL NOT get a consensus opinion, just because the answer is different for different players.

To illustrate what I mean, just think of the imp set as a module that extends the capacity of a ship. When we are in battleships you will note we tend to like Slave's for big armor buffer fits, Asklepian's for active armor fits, and Crystal's active shield. Because one of the things about battleships is that they tank like, erm battleships. Thus the preferred implant sets are the ones that most enhance a strong aspect of that ship (dying slower than the other guy is a pretty reliable way to win a fight).

With frigs, it's such a huge spectrum of possible fits & strategies there isn't just an answer, what aspect of the ships performance to you need more of? Dual plate AB punisher with hi-grade slaves like Metal Jack likes em? That's more EHP than most cruiser builds and MUCH harder to hit. Try catching and pinning down a competent kitey slasher pilot with snakes. Pick what you need (rather than what you think you want) and that's probably the one for you.

Just for the record I own no hi-grade sets at all, all mine are mid-grade and I don't always use the omega (in mid-grade crystals it's not such a big add on and there are other uniquely useful things to go in slot 6, omega is an absolute must for Asklepians though)

My current fav? Mid-grade Halo with some cheap hard wiring (total cost 250 mill, cheaper if you buy order) makes my Malediction into Dexter's sister, a mean skinny bitch that runs you down and is really hard to hit.

#3 Balarat

Balarat

Inquisitor

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
Recruit

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

Thanks snurg! I'll check out mid-grade halo, crystal and snake! Maybe leave out omega. I'm mostly working on my t1 frig fast kiting game at long point range at the moment. So usually these fights are over if I get caught. So thinking speed >shield > armour. I'll try to post some fits once home

#4 CpHarding

CpHarding

Astarte

• Executive Coordinator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
Crewman 3rd Class  Member Reputation
  • Favorite Ship:Rook
  • Race:Caldari

Posted 16 June 2017 - 01:56 PM

The way I look at it,

halos are only good for frigates/ being more than 1 ship size lower than your opponent.

Crystal's are only good if shield tanking

Asks / slaves are only good if armor tanking

Snakes, always help, allow you to kite better, close better when scammed, escape better, get early tackle better.

But. RvB is not the place to play with HG, they often can make a ship OP if flown right, and then people will just refuse to fight you, or bring superior numbers / ships, knowing you are permanently mounted in HG.

If you want fun, fair fights in RvB, mids make your ship better, but not the point an empty clone pilot doesn't stand a chance if they are good.

In Low / WT, use whatever you can afford to lose!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
~Cp

*Quack*

#5 Xantcha

Xantcha

Astarte

• Executive Coordinator
  • 853 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationUSA
  • Favorite Ship:Comet
  • Race:Gallente

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:43 PM

Snakes are king, not getting caught>having a finite amount of ehp

#6 Balarat

Balarat

Inquisitor

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts
Recruit

Posted 17 June 2017 - 01:40 AM

https://zkillboard.com/kill/62975649/this is what i'm' playing with at the moment to practice kiting and manual piloting, will get the medium grade snakes in a clone and be careful, then maybe branch out from there to others as i now have 4 clones! :-D

#7 Xantcha

Xantcha

Astarte

• Executive Coordinator
  • 853 posts
Crewman 2nd Class  Member Reputation
  • LocationUSA
  • Favorite Ship:Comet

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:57 PM

Condors and navy slicers are really good choices too

#8 SaulKripke

SaulKripke

Vengeance

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 64 posts
Recruit

Posted 25 June 2017 - 09:59 AM

Have you considered Genos? They give loads of fitting utility, a small amount more speed, and they are not "lol insta win soz no fun for you" implants. If you are set on HGs then I'd go for snakes, especially for lowsec. Slaves seem to work well in RvB, since people will eventually get bored enough to fight your 80k ehp rupture or whatever retarded slaved ship people are baiting with at the moment. But it is not much fun for the other side, and it will not help you actually get good at the game. 

Edit: if you are learning to kite do so without snakes first. Snakes will actually make it harder, manual piloting in a snaked kitey frig is actually really really hard, you just go too fast. 

#9 Nicose

Nicose

Vengeance

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Recruit
  • LocationGloucestershire
  • Favorite Ship:Can you fit a blaster on it??

Posted 03 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

In before W0lfy rants about his hi-grade snakes being fair but anybody else with implants is a dirty cheater and haz no e-honor (trust me it's a comin'), possibly followed by an angry Dutch guy calling all imp sets the work of Satan, except his hi-grade Geno's which are of course purity & enlightenment.

I cried when i read this, actually cried, guys in my office are still looking at me  :)

#10 Nicose

Nicose

Vengeance

• Combat Coordinators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 70 posts
Recruit
  • LocationGloucestershire
  • Favorite Ship:Can you fit a blaster on it??

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Isk aside - Don't get any yet.

Spend the money on hardwire implants. They are fractions of the cost of a pirate faction set and will give you a good combat advantage over an opponent.

Look at +3%'s, also remember some +5% are cheaper or the same price as +3%'s.

They are also not OP, and won't stop you getting fights.

Personally I've not got any HG's; 2 reasons - 1) People will avoid fighting you in RvB space, 2) I like to take my implants to low sec, and can't afford to lose a HG set.

I hear in other forums good pilots will always get their pods out, which 50% of the time is true, but you can't account for smart bombs or sensor boosters....or Zen Tsai.....all will pod kill you

#11 W0lf Crendraven

W0lf Crendraven

Rifter

• Friend of RvB
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 52 posts
Recruit

Posted 15 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

I only hate crystals and asklepians.

#12 C11H17NO3

C11H17NO3

Vagabond

• RvB Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts
Recruit
  • Favorite Ship:maulus

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:23 PM

Whence you taste snakes on a dual over drive dual Tech 2 Poly carb Scythe fleet issue you will know the answer..

OR a Faction/Deadspace fit poly carb nano Macherial or 100mn AB Phanstasm..  DE LIC IOUS

THIS IS EVE ONLINE!! = https://i.imgur.com/jj16ThL.jpg

Chess is the perfect Metaphor for Life: There are many clearly bad Moves but so FEW clearly good ones..

You don't like that people can use Expensive implants and ships or don't want to learn the counters? Ok, that's fine, bye. This IS EVE ONLINE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users